Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate & cheap 308 bullets?

elenius

I'm shooting Hornady bulk 150gr FMJs out of my MIA scout (18" barrel, *iron sights*, no special accuracy work done to it). I have mostly shot rifle matches in pistol bays, just up to 70 yds or so, so this has been accurate enough so far. However, I want to start shooting some real rifle matches (3-gun/action rifle, not high power or anything like that) with longer ranges, and I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to use better bullets for the longer range stages. I can shoot 2-3" 3-shot groups at 100yds from sandbags with my current load (40.6 gr H4895) on a good day. Is this as good as it gets, or should I try other bullets? I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on them. Oh, and it's a plus if they're hollow point or soft point, because I might want to use the same load for hunting pigs at some point.

How can one tell with Irons..? IF the ammo will do 1 - 1.5 at 100 it will do anything you need for 99% of 3 gun...

I make the comment about irons only to say it is difficult to truly judge the true quality (benchrest accuracy) of ammo with out a high magnification scope. You iron guys don't get you knickers in a knot... :D

What are "longer ranges" to you? For some, it's 200 yards, others it's over 600 yards. Good match bullets, used in match conditions are always worth the price. However, if your Scout hasn't been bedded properly, it may not make a lot of difference. Don't forget that a match tuned M1A is capable of under 1moa out to 600 yards. That is using good ammo, in good hands.

What are "longer ranges" to you? For some, it's 200 yards, others it's over 600 yards. Good match bullets, used in match conditions are always worth the price. However, if your Scout hasn't been bedded properly, it may not make a lot of difference. Don't forget that a match tuned M1A is capable of under 1moa out to 600 yards. That is using good ammo, in good hands.

I don't expect to hit anything at 600 yards, but yes, maybe a bedding job would be well spent money...

I don't expect to hit anything at 600 yards, but yes, maybe a bedding job would be well spent money...

Accurizing an M1A is a bit more involved than just bedding. The gas cylinder/front band should be unitized, places in the stock have to be relieved, the handguard needs some tweaking too. Not to mention reworking the sights.

Edited by Dan Sierpina