Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for Win 147 JHP?

Hey guys,

New here, and have used the search to come up with lots of answers which are close, but nothing nail on the head. I'm a reloading noob, so I haven't quite learned if "all bullets are created equal" when it comes to a particular type, such as JHP, FMJ, etc.

I just picked up 200 Winchester 9mm 147gr JHPs and have found lots of references to loads with Zeros, or other JHPs, but not any Winchester. I don't know if some bullets are shorter than others, and which OAL to use. I'm going to load with 3.1gr Titegroup, WSP and mixed brass. Just need an OAL.

From looking on Hodgdon's site, the nearest I can find is with a generic (??, or is it Winchester?) 147 JHP at 1.169. Guessing that's a Max length, too. I've loaded my first batch of Rainier 147s @ 1.15 & 3.1gr TG, so that's where my Classic Turret's set at. Should I leave it?

Suggestions? Also, if it makes any difference, it'll be coming out of a Glock 19 and/or HK USPc.

Thanks, and this is a GREAT site, BTW! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, but just haven't had any info to add since I'm a noob. :unsure::cheers:

Edited by KingAirDriver

I don't mean for this to sound preachy at all. I hope it doesn't come off that way. I do want to make the point (with someone new to reloading) that what you are doing is load development. I just wanted to plant that seed and hope that that thought stays with you as you continue on. The safety and functionality of your loads will come from you.

That said...it sure sounds like you are doing your homework. (and I'll get off my preacher box :) )

OAL is best set with first regards to feeding in your particular gun.

1.169 is probably too long to feed through the Glock mags (I don't know about the Hk's) without hanging up from time to time.

I'd test an OAL of between 1.135 and 1.150

After adjusting OAL for function...you want to have a thought toward pressure. If you have a load that is of higher pressure, then loading a bit longer can be safer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes (and welcome to the forum).

I don't mean for this to sound preachy at all. I hope it doesn't come off that way. I do want to make the point (with someone new to reloading) that what you are doing is load development. I just wanted to plant that seed and hope that that thought stays with you as you continue on. The safety and functionality of your loads will come from you.

That said...it sure sounds like you are doing your homework. (and I'll get off my preacher box :) )

OAL is best set with first regards to feeding in your particular gun.

1.169 is probably too long to feed through the Glock mags (I don't know about the Hk's) without hanging up from time to time.

I'd test an OAL of between 1.135 and 1.150

After adjusting OAL for function...you want to have a thought toward pressure. If you have a load that is of higher pressure, then loading a bit longer can be safer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes (and welcome to the forum).

Thank you, Flex and no, not preachy at all! I guess I just didn't know how free I am to experiment and develop loads. I'm too worried about a Kaboom...which is why I shoot my test stuff with my Glock than my HK! :goof: Guess I'd rather it KB than the other, lol. I'll make up some dummies with varying OAL and check for fit and cycle. Looks like Hodgdon says TG's max is 3.6 gr, so, after reading what you said, guess I'm not gonna get too high of a pressure while testing. Thanks again, I appreciate the help. ;)

flat nose bullets, like hollow points, often cannot be loaded to the same length as round nose bullets, but there is some variation on this. for example, flat nose bullets loaded to the maximum overall length for a given semi-auto cartridge might run into issues with fitting in the magazine. some information on this issue is explained at the website below.

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html