Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

brass popping out of station one on my 650

just checked my dillon manual. no spring. great idea though...

It must be something they changed - mine has it. There is a small hole in the end of the ramp that the spring fits into. Press is about 12 years old - give or take.

• 2 months later...

Guys I have this exact problem with my brand new 650 and I am using the Dillon dies. I have found that if I stand in front of the machine everything seems to work ok. It's like my timing is wrong doing it any other way. I have about 1000 rnds loaded now and if I stand off to the side of the loaded it will do it almost constanty. I will be calling Dillon on Monday because my case feeder fails to start back up and load more cases sometimes and a shake will get it going again. The clutch isn't slipping and the motors doesn't hum when it does this. It just fails to start again. I think the micro switch might be bad. Anyway sorry for the thread drift here. Other than these minor issues I can easily get 450 to 500 rnds an hour just putzing along. I did find out right away that I sure go through primes quickly and will be order more sm. pistol primer tubes.:)))

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
I called Dillon about problem 1... as a preventive measure, the rep suggested adding some grease under the bridge (station 1 locator) to work as a shock absorber. Can't hurt.

I had a 650 about 10-12 years ago back in England. I am sure that there used to be a small spring under that bridge. Or perhaps my imagination is playing tricks on me. When the case feed slid the case down the bridge the spring would compress and as the feeder retracted (as the plate rose), the ramp would rise up and the lip on the end would rise above the case rim and keep it in the slot on the shell plate...

Did Dillon used to have a spring there or am I going nuts ? If they had one, why was it removed, if not then why don't they add one. It would solve the problem permanently.

just checked my dillon manual. no spring. great idea though...

You are correct there is a spring under the bridge on the older models.

I have two 650's one is a 2000 with out the spring and the other is a 1993 with the spring.

I didn't quite understand why the spring under the bridge was dropped.

the bridge on the 2000 model came from the factory with grease under it instead of the spring,

I guess the grease is cheaper than the spring.

No problems with either press to speak of, both run well.

-Craig