Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge rules

bowgun1

Hi guys. How about some help from all you experts in Steel Challenge out there? I'm from a well established shooting club in northern Arizona that wants to get into the sport of Steel Challenge in a big way, but we want to do it "right" so that it's fair for everybody and so that someday when all you experts show up at one of our matches, you will actually recognize what we are doing. I have researched all the usual websites and even gone through this entire forum, but my questions still have no answers. Help.

1. I understand about the 120 power factor as measured from the farthest stop plate, but on one website it "encourages" a minimum muzzel velocity of 750 fps, and on another website it says that 750 fps is "mandatory". Which is it? For those of us USPSA shooters who have no plans to make World Champion of Steel Challenge and who mostly shoot bullets weighing 180 to 230 grains, this "requirement" could lead to some really ridiculous power factors.

2. Nowhere that I can find are the various "Divisions" and "Classes" of Equipment and shooters clearly explained. I get the general impression that if you are shooting Steel Challenge with optics, you are in "Open". If not, then you are in "Limited" or "iron sighted". It can't really be that simple, can it? Where do all the USPSA and IDPA divisions fit in? "SASS" and "Rimfire" seem to pretty well stand on their own merits as Divisions, and all our shooters of various disciplines will be very pleased to be included in the future of Steel Challenge at our Club.

3. Is there no way to be competitive at Steel Challenge without using some of the smallest bullets available? Boy was I diplomatic on that one! Come on, guys. There's got to be a way to shoot a caliber (though not necessarily a load) that would be suitable for self-defense and still be at least somewhat competitive. Let's hear what you have to say about it.

Yes it is that simple, if you want to shoot in IDPA class thin follow that rule, the single action Cowboy guys follow their rule

The only one that gets different is the Optical Revolver and Iron sight rev. =no round limits.

If you want to enter the big even with two guns they have the Jerry rule that you can't sign up in Optical revolver and Iron sight revolver. But you can sign up in optical Auto and Iron / limited auto.

In the past the power factor was just a suggestion You could shoot a 90 power factor if you wanted.

The time stops when the bullet -Hits - the stop plate = so if you have a slow bullet your over all time will be slower.

Sounds crazy but over the 8 stages with four runs the bullet flight time to the stop plate is over 1.5 seconds for a normal bullet.

Shoot what ever makes you happy ! is what Steel Challenge is all about.

The distance total to the all stop plates is (1,569) feet

The match is set up as a heads-up first and divisions second. I will look for and old rule book if you thing It would help you

Jamie

My club goes with the rule for hand loads that we call "Safe and Sain" If some-one want to shoot a light bianchi load that sould be fine. I talked about the time to the stop plate just to let you know that is one reason for the recomended loading = at the world shoot you want your bullet to move the stope plate to stop the timer = if it will not they use the time on the timer + add in the flight time for a bullet going 750 fps.

I load my rounds for the best setup to the next target. I like my bullets fast to let the comp work. I have had some of my best scores with a plain Revolver. be carfull though your wifes will start shooting and loveing it and that will cut into your bullet inventory. Ladies love steel.

Edited by AlamoShooter