Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra Dot on a four inch 625

earplug

I shoot in a small indoor 50 foot Bullseye league. My iron sighted M-14 and my eyes no longer stay in the black.

I have a four inch 625 that I don't use for any form of action shooting, so I'm thinking of putting a Ultra dot on it to punch paper. I figure with the scope and fifty foot range barrel length is not a issue. Am I tracking with this idea?

When I switched to a .22 with a ultra dot scope, it was good for 20-25 points.

Plan A is to load a ultra light load of wst under a 200 grain Billy bullet.

I shoot in a small indoor 50 foot Bullseye league. My iron sighted M-14 and my eyes no longer stay in the black.

I have a four inch 625 that I don't use for any form of action shooting, so I'm thinking of putting a Ultra dot on it to punch paper. I figure with the scope and fifty foot range barrel length is not a issue. Am I tracking with this idea?

An Ultradot on a 625 will work fine for you but I think even in a 50foot league, you give up a lot with the shorter barrel. I use an Ultra Dot on my Ruger MkIII for weekly bulls eye and have a similar dot on my 6" 617. Only problem I have with the 617 is in rapid fire. My hands are not good enough to cock the hammer that fast so I shoot it DA which is not a big deal for me but I know I drop a few points because of it.

It took me quite a while to get my SA trigger pull as crisp as I wanted it. I use a hard arkansas stone and I make sure it is a 3# pull. Now it is at the point of no creep and at a hair over 3# which works for me. I am hoping to put the Ruger away next season and shoot the 617 all winter. The guys and girls with the Pardinis hate to be beat by a revolver :)

Weigand mount works great for the Ultra Dot on a revolver.

As for the load, the recoil is obviously not as important as the accuracy so try a few loads before you settle in.

Good luck with it,

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

earplug, What I have seen when using an optic is that it take the need of a longer barrel away for accuarcy, At least in the distance I shoot. A gunsmith frind of mine built an open snubby on a k frame. The barrel was 2 inches and ported and I had no problems with rams at 100 yards. This was the distance for rimfire silohoute. You do however need a little more powder to get the same velocities. But as long as the bullet stablizes in the barrel ther should be no porblem. later rdd

earplug, What I have seen when using an optic is that it take the need of a longer barrel away for accuarcy, At least in the distance I shoot. A gunsmith frind of mine built an open snubby on a k frame. The barrel was 2 inches and ported and I had no problems with rams at 100 yards. This was the distance for rimfire silohoute. You do however need a little more powder to get the same velocities. But as long as the bullet stablizes in the barrel ther should be no porblem. later rdd

Thanks for the replies, I have a Ultra Dot on order, checks in the mail. Now I just have to screw the rig together.

Won't have to drill and tap my K frames if I can handle the weight.

Shot the combination today for the first time, installed a factory unbobed hammer on my JM 625, A used Ultra Dot and shot my on hand load of 4.6 WST and a 200 grain Billy Bullet, recoil was stout for Bullseye, but it groups much better then I could get with irons. A golf ball size group at fifty feet if I did my part.

The new Smiths do pretty good.

hand load of 4.6 WST and a 200 grain Billy Bullet, recoil was stout for Bullseye, but it groups much better then I could get with irons. A golf ball size group at fifty feet if I did my part.

The new Smiths do pretty good.

I shoot bullseye some with a dot on my 5" 625. they do shoot pretty well. I also use WST. Try 4.0 gr with a 200 grain LSWC. Mild recoil with enough velocity to cut clean holes.