Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I like new toys: SSD/1911

Wakal

1911_SSD_1.jpg

Started off with the "special" Caspian slide/frame fit, and dropped in some decent lockwork and a SV magwell. 41.5 ounces ;)

I'm still not sure about the external extractor, but it seems to work well enough. I needed a single stack that didn't suck for competition...been using a CQB, and that isn't optimal :rolleyes:

1911_SSD_2.jpg

Alex

That's a beautiful handgun.

I'd really like to know your impressions of the SV Magwell.

I've been tempted to put one on my Springer but based on Zhunter's experience I'm worried about the magwell being too tall.

The height of the magwell seems to make it tough to reliably push the mags up far enough to lock in place.

Tls

The slide cuts are cosmetic only...and, oddly enough, just about like a variety of factory cuts ;)

Still need to flat top and serrate it, though. That is part of the cuts for the sights, which are always fine :D

The mag well is like a lot of Sandy's stuff: overengineeered to a fault. Way more complicated than it needs to be. And still, pretty cool. It doesn't work well with WWII surplus magazines. They fit fine and lock into place, but you need to push them all the way "inside" the mag well which just isn't fast...but since no one uses WWII magazines, that really isn't a fault. My favorite Wilson 8 round magazines are flush fit with the bottom of the well, which is about perfect. The 10 round magazines, of course, are no problem at all.

Alex