Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military Brass(223)

a-44978

I have a 650 and against all advice switch back and fourth from .40 to .223

I have saved some of my surplus (LC)brass.

Is there an easy way to decap and remove the crimp on this stuff.

Is this a big fat waste of time for ipsc shooting :huh:

A44978:

I switch back and forth all the time between these two! I haven't had any problems! As to your quest on crimp removal... If you are going to use the once fired LC brass for really accurate reloads talored to your rifle, I would suggest the Dillon primer pocket swage. It works great! If you are just going to reload "blaster ammo" I guess I wouldn't bother. You can find fully preped brass really cheap and sometimes those companies will work a swap deal with you! KURT

I just deprime it and then remove it from the press and use a deburring tool that I chuck up in my drill (We use them in the machine shop where I work , looks like a short drill bit with only one flute) and hit the primer pocket lightly with it to remove the crimp . If you look at the Black Hills ammo it appears that this is what they do as well . If you need a pic of the tool e-mail me at paraman1@cableone.net and I will e-mail you a pic .

Both Lee and Forster make crimp removers also, Lee version sounds alot like what Paraman described.

Forster works in their case trimmer assy.

LC brass is good stuff, but I have never reamed the crimp out of primer pockets, I order preprocessed brass.

Sounds like a pain in the butt.

Travis F.