Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL variation on 9mm reloads

Cy Soto

Folks,

I have noticed that there is quite a bit of variation between the recommended OAL for a 9mm; most shooters are seating their 9mm Luger to 1.120" while most manuals recommend a maximum OAL of 1.169". I have settled on seating my 9mm reloads at 1.135" for no other reason than because the rounds seem to load consistently.

Are there any reasons why I would want to seat my 124gr bullets any longer or shorter than my current depth of 1.135"? Am I missing out on any advantage on accuracy?

Thanks!

-Cy

BTW, my current 9mm Luger load is:

4.7gr of WSF

124gr RN Berry's Plated Bullets

WSP Primers

Mixed headstamp brass

OAL 1.135"

what sort of gun are you shooting your reloads out of?

My glock will get ammo loaded out to 1.130 oal since thats what it likes best.

My STI/SVI open guns will get anything from 1.160 all the way out to 1.20 depending on the bullet i'm using at the time and the particular mags that go with the gun. Loading long helps with the feeding on S_I guns. I've heard loading long helps a bit especially if you have an ultra compressed load but I wouldn't know since I don't use any powder that will come close to compressed (HS6 user).

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to determine my OAL by the bullets ogive/shape. Different shapes will contact the rifling sooner. A "fat" bullet loaded too long will hit the rifling before the the cartridge is fully seated in the chamber. A "skinny" bullet loaded short will have to jump from the cartridge to the rifling when fired. Sometimes this causes poor accuracy. My test is to load a bullet to a specific OAL, then drop it into the chamber, if the cartridge seats completely and cycles well, I call it good.