Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which dies for XL 650 and .40/10MM and .45ACP

PCFlorida

Ok guys, long time Dillon user here, I bleed Dillon blue when it comes to reloading. Have been reloading on a Square Deal since about 1986 or so, but yesterday I picked up a gently used XL650. It came with some calibers that I need, (9MM .38/.357) and some that I don't need (.38 Super, .308 Winchester).

Since with the Square Deal I've always used Dillon Dies I now find myself at the point where I need to buy some and have a choice.

I need .40/10MM and .45ACP. I shoot mainly Glocks, but have never noticed the case bulge that some talk about.

So do I just buy the Dillon carbide pistol dies, or are there others I should consider?

Thanks,

Todd

i don't think the glock bulge is an issue for the 45 acp since its a lower pressure round but i run a EGW die for the extra insurance against bullet set back. YMMV

Edited by yoshidaex

i don't think the glock bulge is an issue for the 45 acp since its a lower pressure round but i run a EGW die for the extra insurance against bullet set back. YMMV

Thanks for the replies, I've ordered the Lee 4 die sets with the FC die, I'll see how those work for me.

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fairly ridiculous collection of dies here and here is what I have settled on. For Brass from a known, non-Glock source I like the Dillon size die with its wide open mouth to feed easily, if the brass had been "Glocked" I would go with EGW's undersized die for sizing. For unknown origin range brass go for the EGW.

For seating I can find no better than the Redding Competition seater die, The Hornady plus a micrometer stem would be second, but cost almost as much so I go with the Redding.

For crimping almost anything I like the Lee FCD. I am not a big fan of it's aluminum construction, and if someone would make a steel one I would buy it, but it does a great job and you can pretty much let the case gauge just gather dust.

If you use the EGW size die that totals about a $100 set of dies which is a lot. It is a lot less however than buying a full set of one brand and then replacing them one by one when you find your needs are different.

Edited by Forester

I have my 650 configured the following way

station 1 - dillon sizeing die.

station 2 - lee/egw undersize die with the depriming pin removed.

station 3 - powder measure.

station 4 - dillon bullet seat die.

station 5 - lee factory crimp die.

Since I've been useing this setup I have reduced my "glocked" brass from 10% down to 1%.