Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 550 powder station

2/15/08

Hi Friends,

This is the first time on a forum, and just recently I made it to the "big time", with the purchase of a dillon press. However, when loading .223, roughly, 1 out of 10 times, the case mouth catches on the metal follower at the powder station, and 1/2 of the powder charge spills out. If I shake the case as it enters the follower, everything works fine. Although, I don't think shaking the case should be necessary on a press that's..."progressive"!

Before I start taking things apart and experimenting, does anyone have insight on this situation?

Sincerely,

Mike

Welcome to the ENOS world Mike. You are in the right place. I can't help you myself because I don't load for rifle but there are many very knowledgeable people here who will help you out.

It sounds to me like something is just not adjusted right. You might want to go back over the section in the manual that applies to adjusting the powder station and see if you can glean anything from that.

good luck,

41mag

2/15/08

the case mouth catches on the metal follower at the powder station, and 1/2 of the powder charge spills out. If I shake the case as it enters the follower, everything works fine.

Mike

Is it possible that you have the powder funnel/drop tube in upside down? The end with the ring on the ouside should be up and the end with the ridge on the inside for the case mouth should be down.

Also, is your shell plate tight enough so as to turn freely but not let the case wobble as it moves to each station?

Is the drop tube corroded or scratched where the case mouth enters? You might want to smooth it with some fine grade wet/dry sand paper, like 600 or 1200 grit.

Lastly, are the case mouths chamfered on your brass or does it have a sharp edge that might be catching.

These are the only things that I can think of that might cause your issue.

Gringop

2/15/08

Hello Again,

Thanks for the responces! That was tooooooo easy. Gringop's suggestion on tightening the shell plate worked. A 1/4 turn of the shell plates allen screw increased the production rate by well over 50%, since powder clean up is no longer a factor. The problem is solved.

Again, thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

Mike