Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Report (23 JAN) - .223 55gr WIN FMJ-BT & AA2230

Fullauto_Shooter

Trying to get ready for the TX Carbine Championship so I spent half a day at the range with my AR15. Did some long overdue chrono and rifle "doping" work. Thought others here might benefit from what I learned. Disclaimer - I'm not the most accurate rifle shot around so I'm sure many of you could achieve much better groups than the ones listed below.

Load:

.223 WIN

55gr WIN FMJ-BT

25.0gr AA2230

WSR Primers

Mixed Brass

OAL: 2.225

Rifle:

JP AR15

16" JP Barrel

Scope:

Meopta K-Dot (1-4X)

Weather:

40 degrees F

Overcast

Light Winds - 8 MPH

Chrono Data (Used CED M2 Chrono):

AVG of 6 rounds: 2932 FPS

PF: 161.2

ES: 86 FPS

Rifle "Dope" Data:

3 Yards - 2.5 Inches Low (Single Hole 3 Shot Group)

7 Yards - 2.2 Inches Low (Single Hole 3 Shot Group)

15 Yards - 2.0 Inches Low (.21 Inch 3 Shot Group)

25 Yards - 1.0 Inches Low (.34 Inch 3 Shot Group)

50 Yards - 0.0 (.47 Inch 3 Shot Group)

100 Yards - 2.0 Inches High (1.09 Inch 5 Shot Group)

200 Yards - 1.7 Inches High (2.3 Inch 5 Shot Group) - This one surprised me, thought it would be lower.

300 Yards - 9.0 Inches Low (5.1 Inch 5 Shot Group - Wind blew this group approx 3" off centerline.

EDITED TO CORRECT OAL.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

ARe you crimping or not? Your seating depth is a little long for the cannelure to be at the end of the case with a 55 fmjbt. WE just loaded up a couple thousand rounds of the same stuff only with 25.5 grains @ 2.220"OAL and mostly Hornady 55fmjbts. Hornady's have a slightly higher BC.

We found back in the late 90's shooting the Mad Minute that AA2230 seemed to be cleaner and cooler(temp) than WIN 748. Only we used 69 MKGs to buck the wind even though it was only 200yds at bowling pin size targets.

Thanks for the info. At least YOU have warm weather to shoot in. -5 yesterday, -1 today.

Nick

ARe you crimping or not? Your seating depth is a little long for the cannelure to be at the end of the case with a 55 fmjbt. WE just loaded up a couple thousand rounds of the same stuff only with 25.5 grains @ 2.220"OAL and mostly Hornady 55fmjbts. Hornady's have a slightly higher BC.

We found back in the late 90's shooting the Mad Minute that AA2230 seemed to be cleaner and cooler(temp) than WIN 748. Only we used 69 MKGs to buck the wind even though it was only 200yds at bowling pin size targets.

Thanks for the info. At least YOU have warm weather to shoot in. -5 yesterday, -1 today.

Nick

Nick,

Great catch on the OAL - it is actually 2.225". I am crimping slightly (0.245" - just enough to "kiss" the cannelure) using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I also used WIN 748 and was never totally happy with it. So far, I really like the AA2230.

Yeah - can't complain too much about the weather here in TEXAS. Hope things warm up for you a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the 2230 meter well. I'm going to be using it with a 550

It metered exceptionally well for me in my XL650. When I was setting up the powder charge bar, I threw 10 charges which weighed a total of 250.3 grains - then I threw another 10 charges which weighed a total of 250.1 grains. This equates to only a .2 grain difference between each of the 10 powder throw strings - for an average deviation of only .02 grains for each individual round. Not too shabby.