Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK trigger mechanics tell me what is up

vrmn1

So last night a broke down my new to me 610.

Honed and stoned everything like I always do. Took a bit more time one this one because 1) it has been awhile since I have worked on one and 2) because I wanted to make this one really nice.

I clipped one coil off the return spring figuring I can always go back.

I bent the hammer spring about that much.

And I faced .015 off the strain screw on my lathe. About my normal amount. I back it off about 1/4 turn for some play room.

I took some fired 40 brass and seated some small RIFLE magnum CCI primers stuck them in a moon clip and had a few clicks. I tightened the screw completely giving me about a 7# pull more than I wanted but.

So again with 40 brass and small rifle magnum CCI primer all 6 went bang. Super!

Then with 10mm brass with CCI lp magnum primers all 6 went bang.

With 40 brass and standard megtech primers all 6 went bang.

Get to the range this afternoon click bang click bang bang click bang bang.

This was 40 ammo loaded with 4gr of TG and win primers that doesn't make major in my Glock 24 with a tight chambered aftermarket barrel. So I bent the spring back a bit which helped but I still had a few clicks.

But here is the kicker, I pierced a couple of primers. I don't think I am over pressure I am denting the primers a lot.

I straightened the spring more and the clicks went away except for 2 of the last 60 rounds I fired.

I tried those rounds again and again, I put them in different clips and tried them they still didn't go off.

So I held the gun off to the side and watched as I pull the trigger from single action they are getting slammed forward in the cylinder but are not firing.

Any ideas?

Edited by vrmn1

Look at the sides of the hammer for drag marks. You'll probably have to smooth and shim to keep the hammer centered in the gun and swinging freely.

The most annoying thing (to me) about working in these S&W guns are the numerous sins they commit with the hammer assembly that they then cover up with a 3/4 ton leaf spring.

You can get all the spring pressures worked out and all the parts slicked up so it will light even CCI primers, then during firing, the hammer will walk one way or the other into the frame and start light striking at purely random intervals.

You'll have to take material off of the hammer and/or the parts that are dragging on the hammer (e.g. the cylinder release slider 'bolt') and shim it to get consistent results.

Oh, and I use only Federal primers.

Look at the sides of the hammer for drag marks. You'll probably have to smooth and shim to keep the hammer centered in the gun and swinging freely.

I was looking at it some last night and found one spot where it is draggin on the edge of the frame a bit.

I will work on that today and see if that helps.

I understand about Federal primers. My thing is I refuse to tie myself to one brand of primers.

They way things have been over the last year or so with availibility has driven that point home even more so. And the cost kills me. Powder Valley is out of Federal small and large pistol primers right now. So is Graf and Son.

I got aggressive on the hammer today and while I was at it CHOPPED IT. Not a Carmoney chopping but chopped it some.

I also faced .005 off the shoulder of the strain screw to allow it to screw further in.

I also clipped another coil off of the trigger return spring.

All of this ended up dropping about a 1/2 pound off of the trigger and increased the tension on the hammer spring a bit.

With cases primed with cci magnum primers it fired everyone of them.

And I pulled down 6 rounds of the ammo i was having problems with yesterday and they all fired.

It feels a lot better even with the increased hammer tension.

I understand about Federal primers. My thing is I refuse to tie myself to one brand of primers.

If you're serious about shooting revolvers in competition, you're going to have to get over that! :) Federal primers are out there, just find them and stock up--no big thing.

It sounds like you have your gun working now.....but if it's busting CCI magnum primers reliably, that action is quite a good bit heavier than it would need to be.