Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Box Rule

Julien Boit

Hey all,

My question is about the IPSC box rule:

Is the shooter allowed to fit his gear to fit the box if he has already been tested and didn't comply ?

This happened this week end during the Euro Med Cup in Cavaillon, the case was that a Junior shooter had his mags 1mm too long to fit the box :(

It didn't gave him any competitive advantage as the basepads were only bumpers.

He was then put in Open division :angry:

(I know that you have to be clear before the test, but I also remember when at one national, almost all the shooters who used Tanfoglios had to file the beavertail and the pads to fit the box, after the RO told them to do so ! )

The thing is that we had no way to measure the box and see if the 1mm tolerance was applied .

Should there not be only one box to test all the guns on a competition ?

There were several boxes on the match, some made of wood, some made of plexiglas, some made of aluminium.

One box didn't allow your gun to fit it, then you turned it 180 degrees and you pistol slips into it :blink:

Vince ?

Anybody ?

When you are already attending the match and shot some stages and then your gun is tested according the boxrule it should fit, with all your mags you used and are gonna use. If this it is not the case then you should be put in open division.

If your gun and mags are tested before the match started, you didn't shot a stage yet, i think it is reasonable that you are allowed to fit your gear, e.g. discard 1 or 2 mags that don't fit.

Thusfar i haven't shot a match were the boxrule was tested before starting the match, but always during chrono or random at a stage.

I am always glad my gun fits in the used box at a match although i tested it in several available boxes at home. In my case the rearsight has to be put down to fit the box.

I still remember one occasion very clearly. (I shot standard minor at that time)

My standard mags fitted 18+1 round and with extension 20 or 21+1

My gun fitted the box with the extended mags but i changed my rearsight and had not tested afterwards.

After the first stage my gun was put (not) in the box.

Although it was a 16 rounds minimum all papertargets at max. 12 yards stage and i was willing to shoot the rest of the stages with standard mags i was put in open division.

Greetings Adrie

Julien,

Adrie's reply is correct. If you're shooting in a division which uses the box, the best thing to do is check all your equipment in the box before you fire your first shot in the match. Any Range Master worth his salt will make provision for competitors to check their equipment beforehand.

And if your equipment complies, remember which box was used, just in case there are multiple boxes which have slightly different tolerances!

However once you begin shooting, if your equipment fails to comply, then Rule 6.2.6 applies and you will be relegated to Open Division.

Julien,

It's quite acceptable for the RO to advise and/or allow competitors to file down their pads to fit the box provided this is done before they started shooting.

However once they've started the match, if their gun doesn't fit the box, it's "Welcome to Open Division"!

The RO allowed the shooters to file their gun once the match had begun !

But, The RO in case was not the most skilled of them.

In two days, I went from 173 to 153 PF using the same gun, chrono, ammo and weather conditions !

One of my friend retrieve a ruined gun after the box test (rear sight and trigger bow bended)

He also tried to put the gun in the box with hammer cocked, safety on , magazine inserted and, guess what, a loaded round :blink:

One week later, the chrono get blasted with a 38 super Blaster and the gunsmith/importer who brought the chrono was very pleased :angry:

Julien, the way you describe the things that happened it seems you joined an entertainment showwith high entrence fee and to be attended at one's own risk. B)

Is this the match you mentioned in earlier posts where your told that N340 give you to much difference in PF without reason and therefore you stopped using this powder?

Greetings

Adrie

No, this was 4 years ago in La Tremblade for the Standard National.

I was shooting with Ba9 at this time.

I tried N340 two years after that and get very disappointed by it.

Maybe I got some bad powder ?

A bullet stucked in the barrel on a 32 rounds stage, cool !

8 mikes and 4 procs :angry:

Finished 7th when I was second before the stage, all I had to do was to shoot a safe stage, but, that damn' murphy was around <_<