Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ad Or Unsafe Gun Handling Or ?

Sidetracker

I just came home from a match where a shooter (no it wasn't me) was DQed for an AD but I'm not sure this was the right ruling. What happened was the shooter was drawing his pistol and as he was raising it to eye level, it fired early, before he was ready to shoot. The round went down range safely towards the target. The shooter was surprised and paused a moment and the RO stopped him and called it an AD. Shooter was DQed. This doesn't seem to me to be an AD as the round didn't hit within 3m of the shooter and it didn't travel in a unsafe direction. It also doesn't seem to be Unsafe Gun Handling because he was in the process of engaging a target and wasn't moving. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Sidetracker,

You're quite correct that the term "Accidental Discharge" applies to very specific actions in IPSC, such as a shot striking the ground within 3 metres or travelling over a berm (see Rule 10.3.1.1).

Moreover the term "Unsafe Gun Handling" is defined in Rule 10.3.2 but, judging from the way you described the incident (i.e. no movement and the competitor was actually engaging targets), this does not apply either.

The shot you described is generally referred to as an "Unintentional Discharge" however these do not incur a match DQ.

Bottom line: Judging solely on the information provided by you, the competitor should not have been disqualified.