Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daughter wants to compete - .22LR Can she?

jdavionic

To help with an example, here's my rough plan for my daughter. I'll go with her to a range and rent & borrow a couple of types of handguns to help determine which one she is most comfortable. I'm looking at the Ruger Mk III and Browning Buckmark, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Somewhere along the line of this activity, I want her to come & watch a few matches. When we purchase a gun & accessories, I plan on teaching her the basics (reinforce the safe handling points that she has already been taught, teach her the RO commands, procedures, etc). Then when she appears to be ready and she agrees that she's ready, we'll give it shot.

How about something like a Kimber Custom in 22 LR. With this she could even draw from the holster and get real training to lead up to a 9mm single stack or something along those lines.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only getting beat by a 13 year old, but a 13 year old girl! You have to just hate that.

There was a guy that brought his son around and shot with a 22. It was kinda neat when he would double tap the steel trying to knock it down.

Problem is Rachel is good, she's going to be very very good one of these days. TMC will need to invest in some more guns, except they won't be for him. The kid is young/fast and probably has 20/20 plus eyesight. The rest of of us have no chance against the younger generation in steel shooting. At least her dad's not getting any younger.

Yeah, Todd could have taken her to the mall, but, no he brings her to the range...maybe if we teach her to spit and swear, we can get even....

michaels

I used this one with my nephew a couple of times. He loves to watch IPSC matches and wants to start out shooting open. He is just old enough to shoot in New York State (14 yr minimum for handling handguns). I found it much easier to teach him many of the basic skills wtih a 22 than with larger calibers. I have also use it to help me learn to shoot with both eyes open. With virtually no recoil, I had a much esaier time building that skill.

I would love to a 22 division of some sort.........

post-12164-1229810222_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace