Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Followers / Springs

Scoterbeast

I do find it funny, watching a shooter drop the hammer on an empty chamber, then rack the slide, then find out that the mag is empty, then reload, rack it again, and continue shooting. All because they opted to de-activate the slide lock. If the slide lock works, the gun will tell you it is empty. If you can't reach the slide lock to release the slide, you can install an extended one, or tune the lock to deactivate when you pull back on the slide.

That will teach them to walk the stage and pay attention to reload points and round counts :cheers:

• 1 month later...
Locking back with a round still in the mag is generally a problem with Grams followers.

My SVI (Competition, .40" caliber for Standard/Limited Division) was doing it with original springs and SVI competition (red) followers. :(

Skywalker, I am also currently running your setup and so far I haven't had a problem (knock on wood). However after almost 2 years, I noticed the tension of the spring holding the SV red follower is getting loose. Before it takes a long time for me to put it on. However, right now its very easy. Also when I disassemble the mag for cleaning, usually the follower comes off just when I slide the springs out. It's making me a little paranoid. Someone suggested that I epoxy the spring to the follower. Is this advisable? Any advice on what I should do? Are you using SV springs? I'm using ISMI in my setup. Thanks in advance!

I disabled my slide lock capability on my STI. I did it by removing the area of the slide lock where the follower hits it. This got rid of premature slide lock too. However, now an empty mag does not drop out as well because there is no pressure on the follower and mag spring. They drop out but just not as well.

I think I am going to replace my slide lock but put a very heavy dimple where the plunger hits it to disable the slide lock that way.

Chris