Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mag problems

thunderstick

accidentally posted this earlier in the wrong section:

I have a bunch of new STI 45 acp mags (126 hi-cap, and 140 mm) and on a number of them I am having feed problems with them. I have ensured the bullets are of proper length so I am ok there. What is happening is it is like the follower is dragging on the front of the magazine and not allowing the bullet nose up so that it will feed into the gun. Seems odd that it is happening on so many of the mags. I have even tried shortening the bullets (already within spec) and I am still having the problem. These are brand new mags. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Look down into the mag and observe the follower. They "really" need to be reworked on both sides to allow the followers to rise all the way up until they contact the feed lips high up in the tube. The front is where the material needs to be removed. I do mine with a polishing wheel on the grinder. To much material removed will allow the follower to come all the way out of the tube...usually at the front is where it goes wrong.

IMO the .45 tubes are the hardest of any double stack tube to get just right.....

As merlin said watch carefully. Without any ammo does the follower come up to where it should rest below the feedlips.

What overall length are you loading?

.45 in general is one of the more difficult S_I mags to make run. Oh, make sure you have .45 mags. I have seen people try using .40 mags in the .45 on no fault of their own.

SFC Joe Harless at the AMU built my STI double-stack 45. He built the mags using STI tubes, followers, and springs and Bevan Grams' bases.

After tuning, each of the mag tubes was sent to Robar to be plated with NP3. That seems to do the trick -- I've never had a stoppage with this pistol (only shot aound 2500 rounds through it, though).