Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a Lee Loadmaster

My wife got me a Loadmaster for Christmas. They had several on their website that were refurbs so I showed her which one I wanted and it was right around $200 shipped.

It looks almost perfect. It is in very good shape for a refurb and came with all the extra plastic parts a new one would come with.

I got it set up yesterday in about an hour. The videos on Youtube helped a lot. If you get/have a Loadmaster go to Youtube and search for Loadmaster. Several wonderful people took the time to do videos on how to set up the press. Whoever they are someone should buy them a cookie.

Anyway I just preliminarily attached it to the wood bench top with three sheetrock screws. :ph34r: It lasted long enough to get it set up and make sure it would run properly before the backside screw pulled loose. :rolleyes: Now that I know it will run I will get it more solidly mounted like my other presses.

I'm currently quite happy with it. This is an upgrade from my Lee Pro 1000 that I've been using the past year and a half. The Loadmaster gives me the extra position to run a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Chris

I've actually been using the Factory Crimp Die along with my Pro 1000 but I had to do it seperately which, of course, cost extra time. Time that my wife agreed that I should be spending with her. :)

I got the press bolted to the bench last night and ran about 40 rounds through it after doing some final adjustments. Wow, I didn't even realize I had run through all the brass I put in the brass feeder. It went very smooth.

The only issue I have is that the primer pan doesn't vibrate like it does in the videos on Youtube. The vibration is supposed to help keep the primers running down the trough. I'm going to call Lee today and see if I need a different primer trough.

All in all a nice press. And, I have the added benefit of listening to the local guys besmirch me because I reload without using a blue press. (Not that there is anything wrong with a blue press).

Chris

The only issue I have is that the primer pan doesn't vibrate like it does in the videos on Youtube. The vibration is supposed to help keep the primers running down the trough. I'm going to call Lee today and see if I need a different primer trough.

Chris

You need to readjust the toolhead. Video is on the Lee website. The toolhead out of adjustment will also lead to flipped/sideways primers. While you are at it double check you have the right primer setup for your caliber. Mine shipped as 40cal but came with Large Pistol primer setup for some reason. What are you loading?

Edit: Also the guys who did the video post on Glocktalk.com Reloading section fairly often. It's a great resource.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at their website to check the toolhead adjustment.

Chris

ETA, yep, you were right. I loosened the bolt on the bottom of the ram, twisted the carrier a half a degree to where the primer system was contacting the press frame but the indexing system is still contacting the front of the press frame. This way the primer system gets vibrated like it is supposed to and it indexes like it's supposed to. Now all is good in Lee press land. And I cranked out 50 rounds in about 5 minutes as a test. Not bad.

Edited by Resjudicata