Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to disengage the thumb safety?

Cy Soto

+1

I tend to drop the safety as I draw, grip with the weak hand and have the gun pointed in the general direction of my first target. i.e a safe direction in the vicinity of something I intend to destroy. I used to get buzzer freaked and drop the safety as I gripped the gun in the holster. big no no I had t train myself out of.

SV;

I like your pick, is that John G. in "the big labowsky"?

yes that is STFU Donny "Walter Sobjech" from the big lebowski. its probably my all time favorite movie.

I guess I just liked the Dudes style....

• 1 month later...

One definitely wants to train for all course conditions. It sounds best to wait to disengage the safety until pointing at the target. This would be especially true with a COF having you start facing uprange. I would hate to see someone disengage the safety with their hand on the gun while in the holster and turning!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first year shooting a 1911 style (STI) open gun, I have been shooting a GLOCK in open for the previous 4 years. My first match with the gun was a DQ on the th stage due to an AD (impact 9ft from my feet). I was taking off the safety as I drew the gun......finger indexed to the trigger too quickly and BANG! Not only did I have to relearn (I shoot L10 with a 1911 for several years) to disengage the safety on draw, but I also had to relearn WHEN to disengage.

The safety now comes off as I am extending the gun towards the target. I preceive no other difference than the added safety of having the gun pointed in a safe direction before the safety comes off. I am sure that there are shooters who safely disengage the safety on the draw......but there really is no advantage and its not as safe.

• 4 weeks later...
- While "pushing out" to the target

To me, one of the great things about the location and operation of the 1911 safety lever, when combined with the straight thumbs grip, is that I can leave my master hand pretty much totally relaxed (or as totally relaxed as it can be and still draw the gun) for a fast draw and good trigger control and I don't yet trip the thumb safety, but when my two hands meet - which takes place WELL after the gun is out of the holster - the added pressure of acquiring the two-hand grip causes the thumb safety to disengage automatically (no pun intended) with no extra thought or even added muscular effort on my part. It just happens. Too cool.