Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther P99qa, Ssp Or Esp?

Maicoman

The QA has a decocker, but once decocked, in order to fire it you need to rack the slide about 3/8" to reset the trigger so you can shoot it. Easy to do without a round in the chamber, but difficult with one in the pipe without ejecting the round in the chamber, especally in the heat of battle. As near as I can find out, that is the difference between the standard P99 and the P99QA. With the standard P99 you can decock it and still fire the first round double action whereas with the QA you cannot. I'm not sure about the feel of the standard model versus the QA after the first round has been fired.

The description given to me at Linden is if you start with the hammer cocked and safety on, then it is ESP and if you start with the hammer down it is SSP. It doesn't have a hammer but a striker and technically it is only partially cocked because the striker is pulled back with the trigger and released when the trigger breaks. Basically, the QA has a shorter trigger stroke than the standard model. Given that, it sounds like it should be in SSP but could be shot in ESP also. Locally shooting in Marksman class I could be placing in the matches in ESP because there are 1/3 the competitors in ESP. I've been shooting SSP and there are a lot more shooters. I'm not looking for easier competition just want to be sure I'm not shooting in the class illeagly.