Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak Hand Frustration

GRW

Practicing weak hand (left for me), my groups tend to be low and to the right. I am not sure what is causing this( grip, flinch?). I swear that my sights are right on when the round goes off, but something is a miss here. Any help would be appreciated!

GRW,

Some of us are more naturally ambidextrous than others. I find that I have to practice weak hand every range session or I get sloppy. Practice slow fire groups at 25 yards; sounds like you have a little bit of a flinch in your technique.

Maybe these threads will help you get back on track:

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...1&t=81&st=0&hl=

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...T&f=1&t=110&hl=

GRW,

The thing that helps me with weakhand shooting (not that I'm any good, but it's still true :D ) is that the fundamentals don't change. If your sights are on the target when the gun goes off you will hit what you are aiming at.

Whenever I have a problem with shooting, I can always start back at the fundamentals and it usually works the kink out.

At the same time (this was the case for me) maybe you are just intimidated by weakhand shooting and create a mental block? I'm just throwing some ideas out here.

See you Sunday.

Another observation, being right eye dominate, my left wrist is open to the left a little, aligning the sight with my right eye. This leads me to believe that I no longer have a "neutral" weak hand grip.

Thanks for the advice.

Another observation, being right eye dominate, my left wrist is open to the left a little, aligning the sight with my right eye. This leads me to believe that I no longer have a "neutral" weak hand grip.

Good observation. That may be a factor...but, it is not a fundamental.

You have a classic flinch. You will have to except that. Then you can work on getting it fixed.

This isn't just a case of milking the grip (dry-fire practice will help that). You are also NOT seeing the sights as the gun fires...and the bullet leaves the barrel.

It is impossible to miss...it is impossible to miss... if your sights are alinged, and on target, as the bullet leaves the barrel.

Now...if your eyes are open...and you are "seeing" your sights...you will be able to call the shot. Hit OR miss.

Flex you hit the nail right on the head.

At first my front sight (.090" width) was favored to the right when my shots broke. This along with a tense grip and poor trigger control caused the shots to go low right.

Making sure my sights were properly aligned and keeping a relaxed grip equated to groups centered in the A-zone at 15 yards. :D