Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Basepads

trodrig

I have 5 STI mags (140mm) for 38SC that I want to get some Dawson basepads for. Question is, which one?? The original toolless, the SNL, or the "Just Right" kit with basepad, insert, and spring?

Thanks for ya'lls opinions!

Trodrig

You do not want the +2 with the post ban 140 = as the spring can twist over in the base.

Benn there, done that. If you use the Arredondo insert that doesn't happen. Some people claim they're too much trouble but I've found it adds about 2 seconds to the process of taking them apart, cleaning and putting back together.

I was having the same problem with post-ban 140s and the Grams 11mm basepad and the insert worked perfectly there too.

Edited by G-ManBart

if you happen to find any Dawson +2 basepads for sale pick up some of arredondo's basepad insert. I have the basepad inserts with the grams 11mm basepad and have no follower rollover issues. IMHO the Grams 11mm basepad is the closest thing to a Dawson +2 basepad.

So, is the Dawson "Just Right" kit (with insert) the same as the Dawson +2 or is that a different animal all together? Anyone know if the insert that comes with that kit the same as Arredondo's?

Thanks,

Trodrig

So, is the Dawson "Just Right" kit (with insert) the same as the Dawson +2 or is that a different animal all together? Anyone know if the insert that comes with that kit the same as Arredondo's?

Thanks,

Trodrig

I don't think Dawson is making the +2 any longer...it's not on their website. It also doesn't say whether the insert in the just right kit is the Arredondo or not, but it might be. I think you'll find that most of the people tuning mags are using the Grams spring and follower kits rather than the Dawson.

From what I've seen lately, the two most common setups for Open mags are the Grams spring and follower kit (13 coil) with either the Dawson SNL pad or a Grams 11mm pad. I haven't seen a comparison between the SNL and the 11mm Grams so I'm not sure which one gives a higher capacity. I do know that with the Grams 11mm pad and the Grams spring and follower I get 23 rounds of Supercomp in all my 140mm mags and they've been 100% reliable since I added the Arredondo insert. I can get another round in some of them, but it wouldn't be reloadable. I've also got a mag with the standard Dawson +1, Grams spring and follower (no need for the Arredondo insert) and it holds 22rds, is totally reliable and seats easily (has a little extra room in it, but not enough for another round.