Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Reset issues with new trigger.

bp78

This weekend I installed a new Cylinder & Slide trigger, slide stop, and magazine release in my STI Trojan 9mm 1911. Each part required fitting but was checked frequently and dry fired often.

As I have a match tomorrow, I made a quick trip to the range to verify function. Slide lock worked well and the mags drop freely. However, while trying to dial in the over-travel screw to where I like it, I started to notice trigger reset problems. I would drop the slide (LAMR) then pull the trigger which would settle on the over-travel stop, release it and you would hear the trigger reset, letting it fire on the next pull.

At first I assumed I over-adjusted the trigger stop but backing it out didn't improve the situation. It appeared that the disconnector was not rising as it should. Is their any fitting necessary to the trigger bow? I've not yet had a chance to strip the pistol down again. What area should I look at further tonight?

I did not touch the sear or disconnect at all. I kept my fitting work to the new parts purchased and frequently compared them (measured to the 1000th's) to the OEM STI parts and my Nighthawk.

Thanks,

bp

This weekend I installed a new Cylinder & Slide trigger, slide stop, and magazine release in my STI Trojan 9mm 1911. Each part required fitting but was checked frequently and dry fired often.

As I have a match tomorrow, I made a quick trip to the range to verify function. Slide lock worked well and the mags drop freely. However, while trying to dial in the over-travel screw to where I like it, I started to notice trigger reset problems. I would drop the slide (LAMR) then pull the trigger which would settle on the over-travel stop, release it and you would hear the trigger reset, letting it fire on the next pull.

At first I assumed I over-adjusted the trigger stop but backing it out didn't improve the situation. It appeared that the disconnector was not rising as it should. Is their any fitting necessary to the trigger bow? I've not yet had a chance to strip the pistol down again. What area should I look at further tonight?

I did not touch the sear or disconnect at all. I kept my fitting work to the new parts purchased and frequently compared them (measured to the 1000th's) to the OEM STI parts and my Nighthawk.

Thanks,

bp

Interesting. You should not have to touch the trigger bow on a new trigger. Just fit the shoe. If the over-travel set screw is in too far the first thing you will notice is the half cock notch rubbing on the sear as the hammer is lowered. That is not good. If it's in much farther, the hammer won't fall at all. It should not, however, affect the disconect. Try a simple trouble shoot.

Take everything apart and reinstal carefully. If the problem still exists, try reinstalling the original trigger. If that solves the problem, see if the trigger from your Nighthawk can be intalled without fitting the shoe. If it goes in and the problem is still there with the trigger from your Nighthawk, the Trojan frame may be out of spec.

Maybe someone else may have some more insight.

Dry firing tonight I couldn't recreate the problem. After pulling the grip safety, and then breaking down the whole pistol, I don't recognize any issues suggested. The bow is smooth all around, no pretravel tabs. I think I may have just been overly aggressive in adjusting the over-travel screw too close to the reset earlier this afternoon. After following the 1/4 turn adjustment steps above it feels a bit better. We'll see how it runs in tomorrow's IDPA match. -bp

Dry firing tonight I couldn't recreate the problem. After pulling the grip safety, and then breaking down the whole pistol, I don't recognize any issues suggested. The bow is smooth all around, no pretravel tabs. I think I may have just been overly aggressive in adjusting the over-travel screw too close to the reset earlier this afternoon. After following the 1/4 turn adjustment steps above it feels a bit better. We'll see how it runs in tomorrow's IDPA match. -bp

Pull the trigger and let it fall. Then (holding the trigger in to rotate the sear fully) thumb raise and lower the hammer and see if you can feel the half cock notch rubbing the sear nose. Keep backing the screw out until there is absolutely no drag there.