Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

would like to make a short trigger longer (STI)

boo radley

I searched, and got even more confused....

I have a short, flat trigger as seen in the picture in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=caylor

I guess it's an STI? I don't really have a way of telling....I'm coming to the conclusion that it's too short for my liking, and I would prefer something "medium." Can I just buy a trigger from STI and have it drop right in? Or is some fitting required. :(

Thx

It is a STI Gunsmith Blank (Long Flat) trigger that has been shortened. Most likely it will require a bit of fitting and adjusting to match your trigger job.

Blug. Thx, Matt. Was hoping it would be drop-in, or there would be some part to extend the existing trigger....

If the trigger bow is true, then the fitting is not bad. It would usually require (slowly) taking material off the top and bottom of the plastic trigger portion...until it just goes into the gun. (Fine grit paper, laid flat on a smooth surface, then squarely pass the top and bottom of the trigger pad over the paper.)

The STI blank comes extra long, so you then hog out as much material on the trigger face as suits your needs.

-----------------------------

Matt, are you seeing those triggers with out of whack bows? I thought I heard your mentor mention that at some point?

Also, I noticed that Brownells recently came out with a trigger stirrup die for the STI triggers. 080-000-389

The STI bows are usually quite good, it's the SVI that needs work.

Adjusting the over travel / pre travel, a bit of polish and slight fitting as Flex says should be all you need to get up and running. I'd give it a try. Even if you mess it up, you still have your old trigger, and it's only a $25 part.

I searched, and got even more confused....

I have a short, flat trigger as seen in the picture in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=caylor

I guess it's an STI? I don't really have a way of telling....I'm coming to the conclusion that it's too short for my liking, and I would prefer something "medium." Can I just buy a trigger from STI and have it drop right in? Or is some fitting required. :(

Thx

If the trigger is a STI, just buy the new one, assemble it on the gun and use it.... if its a SVI you'll need to work attently on the sear toothsie to make it fit because the SVI bow is longer than the STI bow.