Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Sensitivity Observations

phara

I think we all agree that Federal makes the most sensitive pistol primers and I know that many times I have seen it said that Winchesters are the next most sensitive. Well I have had something happen that leads me to believe that Remington primers are actually more sensitive than Winchesters.

I ran out of Federal so I put the factory main spring back in my 625 and set my hammer at 3 lbs (a 2 pound hammer tension will fire off Federals 100% of the time in my 625 and +4 pounds is what the factory sends us.). All I had were Remington primers and these all fired fine with my increased hammer tension setting. I shot about 1,000 of these without problems. When I started to run out of these I bought some Winchester primers and for a while I had a mixture of Winchester and Remington primers in my ammo box. I began to mix them up in my cylinders as well.

I started to get misfires and guess what? Every single misfire was a Winchester primer while all the Remintons fired without a single misfire. What a surprise! Anyway, this may be something of interest to you all.

Regards,

Paul

I have had recurring failure to fires from the Brass colored Winchester primers.

I didn't have the problem with the old Winchester Nickel colored primers. I rechecking the seating depth, and all. I even changed reloading presses.

I then replaced the firing pin springs in my G20's and still had the problem. I was even having the FTF problem with my S&W 610 revolver.

I thought " ok maybe just a bad batch" , but after going thru 2 new boxs of 1000 ea, and still having this intermitten problem, I gave up

I went to CCI primers and haven't had a FTF with any of those.

I'll stick with CCI or Federal's from now on.