Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite PIN LOADS

TBF

I would like info on pin loads in 45acp. I have experimented with a variety of recipes from 185-230 gr. and using bullseye to longshot. I am thinking of trying heavier bullets if I can get them to feed reliably. Your advice would be appreciated.                   Travis F.

I found 255gr LSWC loads to be great for pins in two guns I had: a Clark Heavy Recoilmaster 1911 and an S&W 625 with heavy underlug and compensator.

I used Universal Clays, and the loads chronoed from 220 - 230 power factor. Pins were intimidated and ran away!

OAL was 1.200" with D&J 255gr LSWC, and feeding was reliable. I used a 20-pound spring in the Clark, even with the compensator!

Universal Clays and Unique are good powders for heavy bullet loads in .45ACP.

I don't shoot pins any more, don't have those guns any more, but have some of the loads stored away in case my house is besieged by bands of wild bowling pins in the dark of night!

Pin Shooting, eh?

Too much fun. Prolly shouldn't be allowed on Sundays.

I like the 235 gr. "Pinbuster" SWC from R&R bullets over 7.1 gr. of V V N350 .45 ACP. Excellent motivator even of those heavily laden with lead.

In a revolver, I like the .357 230 gr. LWC "Pinbuster" from the same folk. This works well in .38 Spl brass over 5.5 or 5.6 of V V N350. 900 fps.from a 6" magna-ported 686.

Cheers,

Norm

Hey Travis:

Here's their info:

R & R Bullet

909 Hospital Drive Crawford, NE 69339

Phone800) 865-1312

Fax: (308) 665-1372

I hope it is still current. I bought so many bullets from them last time that it has been awhile since we talked. Pin shooting hasn't gone moribund here yet but the pulse is thready and weak so my stockpile isn't dwindling fast at all.

The folks at R&R are friendly and exceptionally accommodating. They have been able to custom size bullets for me and cheerfully worked through some brain farts I was having concerning lubes. I think Roger still offers moly for a small premium and it is a great help if you find smoke obscuring your targets. wasn't a big issue for me as I am old, slow, halt and poor of vision anyhow.

Good hunting.

Cheers,

Norm

I am w/ Jeff Maass on this: 255s. I used Bull - X lead bullets (flat nose broad SWC profile) back in the day & loaded them over the Lee relaoding manual data for either HP-38 or Win. 231 though both are dirty powders and Universal Clays is probably a better powder. I believe the book data listed 800FPS and they chronoed at that using published data.

I am with Norm, I use the 235 pinbuster in .45acp, with 5.1gr WSL(win superlite) now Titegroup for 910fps.

And 230 pinbuster in 38spec. with 5.5gr vv350. I take the time to put gas checks on the 38 bullets to cut down on the smoke for matches as well.

5.9 W231 with a 225 ltc or 230rn will work also.

A lot of shooters like Jeff and Carlos ran the 255s with good results, but if you shoot a lot of them you will break your gun at some point, as they are just tough on the guns and can be hard to make 100 reliable unless your smith sets your ramp up right.

To be competitive you have to run a 200PF or higher, I prefer a 210 myself. Kenn Tapp told me he didnt care what bullet weight he used as long as he had a 215 power factor.

These are the types of loads that work well on pins, but any comparable load in .45 will work well, just dont use roundnose if you dont have to, due to bounce back. These loads have been worked up after 10years of shooting at Second Chance, Iowa Pin Nationals, and the Pennsylvania Pin shoots, so they do work, even if the shooter doesnt :huh:

For the last three years at the Topton match I have been using Speer 4477 200 gr. JHP, aka "Flying Ash Trays" with N340 at 1025 fps. out of my pin gun. Looks like this year I am going to use the 200 gr. Gold Dot sense Speer has discontinued the 4477 JHP. :angry: Sure wish I knew where to get some more 4477 Ash Trays, oh well. Looks like I will be doing some testing in July. The tech I talked to at Speer about a year ago said that he thought the 200 gr. Gold Dot would work just as good as the 4477 200 gr. JHP on pins. If anyone has tried the 200 gr. Gold Dot on pins let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Vihtavuori N350 behind a 200 gr. FP Rainier bullet. They chrono just over 1000 FPS out of my compensated pin gun. The Rainier bullet has a conical shape that comes to a flat point. I've experimented with Ranier hollow points but after shooting both bullet styles into steel, I find that the flat point puts a deeper dent into the steel. This leads me to believe that the flat point delivers more of its momentum to the target quicker that the hollow point.