Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Grip

Hello again, I have a question regarding thumb placement on the 1911 platform. I have read an article that states that your thumb should rest on the support hand's thumb. After trying this today, I think I prefer resting my thumb on the "safety" or "ride the safety". Am I learning bad habits or should I try to shoot with my thumb resting on the support hand's thumb.

It just seems to me I have a more solid grip that is balanced.

Thanks again

That was a pretty common way to grip the gun years ago, but it isn't the "best" for most people. Riding the safety with your strong thumb and then caming your support hand forward so that your support thumb is pointed down the frame (more or less parallel with the bore) gives the most support and gives you more leverage against recoil.

Us old school folks...ride the safety with the strong thumb and ride the slidestop with the weak thumb

Both should be pointing forward

the thumb on top of thumb thing prevents you from closing your grip with the weak hand.

your weak hand should be 70 percent of your grip.

Jim

So that's the purpose of the thumb on thumb? Prevent closing your grip? I always found it hard to close my grip with that hold. Why is a good idea to prevent closing your grip?

I usually ride the thumb, but my support hand thumb just points forward, I don't think its long enough to tough the slide-stop

So that's the purpose of the thumb on thumb? Prevent closing your grip? I always found it hard to close my grip with that hold. Why is a good idea to prevent closing your grip?

I usually ride the thumb, but my support hand thumb just points forward, I don't think its long enough to tough the slide-stop

youWANT to close the grip ..the heel of your left hand should be pressed against the grip panel

jim

youWANT to close the grip ..the heel of your left hand should be pressed against the grip panel

jim

Ah, that's what I thought.

Wow, that video was amazing and helpful. However it has created even more questions.

For one, the video (and numerous instructors) have always told me to use the "pad" of my finger on the trigger. Due to the fact that I could never shoot this way (I THINK I have longer than average fingers) I have always used the first joint. This was something I pickedup from a bullseye shooting book that was based on revolvers. It really worked for me a lot better, but perhaps I am learning bad habits?

If I do put the pad of my finger on the trigger then I have a less solid grip as my whole index finger is in a "V" shape to curl up and press the trigger. If I can't the pistol inward so that my finger naturally rest on the trigger then the pistol is almost completely sideways.

If you ave real long fingers ...put a long trigger in the gun

It would be best for you to relearn your grip and change from bullseye technique to tryed and true methods that work well for uspsa.

the video was an excelent primmer for this .

jim

If you ave real long fingers ...put a long trigger in the gun

It would be best for you to relearn your grip and change from bullseye technique to tryed and true methods that work well for uspsa.

the video was an excelent primmer for this .

jim

+1 on a long trigger if needed.

It's fine for your trigger finger to be so far off the frame as long as you are pulling straight back. As a matter of fact, you don't really want your trigger finger to be touching the frame. Your trigger finger should be seperate of everything else, and in no way should play a part in the grip. I'm not saying this is a rule, just the info I have gathered.

jim

Wow, that video was amazing and helpful. However it has created even more questions.

For one, the video (and numerous instructors) have always told me to use the "pad" of my finger on the trigger. Due to the fact that I could never shoot this way (I THINK I have longer than average fingers) I have always used the first joint. This was something I pickedup from a bullseye shooting book that was based on revolvers. It really worked for me a lot better, but perhaps I am learning bad habits?

If I do put the pad of my finger on the trigger then I have a less solid grip as my whole index finger is in a "V" shape to curl up and press the trigger. If I can't the pistol inward so that my finger naturally rest on the trigger then the pistol is almost completely sideways.

jim

jim

• 1 month later...

wow, I think that was pete and repeat. When I was learning my grip, a much better shooter than me, told me thumb on thumb. Part of that rational was to always be able to place my weak hand consistently by where my strong hand thumb fell against my weak hand thumb. Was just a way of building a consistant grip.

If I recall, Ross Seyfried and Jeff Cooper always argued about whether the strong thumb should be placed on the safety. Seyfried did not put his thumb on the safety and never had any problems with control or accidentally engaging the safety under recoil. Seyfried was also an outstanding DA revolver shooter before he took up the 1911. I have yet to see any serious big bore revolver shooter manipulate a revolver with the thumb over the cylinder latch, though some do it with minor loads. The point is that maybe Seyfried never wanted to change his shooting grip and he did prove that you don't need to put your thumb over the safety to be successful.

Dave Sinko

• 1 month later...

I was taught to ride the safety w/the strong hand thumb...weak hand thumb along the frame (FRAME...do not touch the slide...you won't like how your gun acts weird when ya catch yourself doing that). Heel of the weak hand fits flat onto the side of the grip...you're forming a vice here between your hands...Placement of the trigger finger on the trigger has been talked about forever. If you shoot revolvers and switch to autos you might reach that finger in too far...If you're a bullseye shooter you'll always use the pad of the finger on the trigger. With long fingers you'll have to find a happy medium...the one that lets you pull the trigger straight to the rear. I think a revo grip and an auto grip are two distinct and different grips...

Edited by border