Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear protection

leam

What about the more expensive muffs that have higher NRR? With all of the positive reviews of the Peltor Tac Sport, I'm leaning that way except for the 20dB NRR.

For example, the Peltor Tac 7s or Peltor Tac Pro? I'm 23 right now, and already have slight tinnitus that's noticable in a quiet room. I plan to shoot for the next eighty or so years (at least) but I also plan to hear things around me for that long. That said, I'm willing to spend up to about $180-200 for a pair, provided that they work really damn well and will last a good long time. (I'm also quite happy to pay less, and spend the rest on ammo---if I'm getting the protection I want.)

So I currently double up with 30dB ear plugs (from Leight) and Peltor Ultimate 10s, which are also rated to 30dB (but of course they don't block anywhere near as well as those plugs. I like the protection, but when I'm not shooting (and the shooter's not in Open) I find myself taking off the muffs to hear conversation. That puts me just the wrong side of uncomfortable, so I'd like to get some electronic muffs that I don't have to take off.

I'll try to test out some this Sunday at the next match, but trying on other peoples' earmuffs ... I'll have to bring some alcohol wipes!

Thanks!

-- John.