Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first USPSA match/great weekend...

Darryl Means

So this weekend I decided to try some things different... I wanted to shoot 2x. So on Saturday I shot IDPA at the Marksmen in Puyallup and then that day I shot my safety check for USPSA. Today I shot the IPSC match also. I'll post the results when I get them but I feel like I did pretty well (IDPA). My goal this weekend was to slow down and focus on better hits. Not on speed really but accuracy. I only have a few videos from my first USPSA match but the treat is... they're hatcams. I shot a decent match (USPSA) but I had a few problems with ammo as you'll notice and I started thinking during the course of fire instead of just shooting the plan I made and trusting my site.

I had a great weekend and next weekend will be better! I'll have pictures from that also.

BTW, fell free to criticize guys. I have a lot of room for improvement. One for sure is my reloads (rounds). Another being reloading on the move. One more being concentration (not thinking, just shooting).

Edited by Darryl Means

Good to meet you this weekend. I also had a couple of problems of my own.

Stage 1: My gun hard jammed after shooting all A's except for the last 2. On clearing, we found a little bulge on that little 9mm round.

Stage 2: I was shooting production for the 1st time and with ony 3 map pouches, I stuck the 4th magazine in my pocket. On the make ready command, I loaded from the rear mag pouch and when I needed the last mag, I forgot that it was in my pocket!

It was still a blast. See you next time.

Albert

Darryl,

Something I noticed during your safety check was how late you push the magazine release during mag changes. I can remember one time where you were basically waiting for the old mag to drop clear with the fresh magazine already in your hand.

mattk

I am REALLY glad you finally got your safety check out of the way and can now start shooting USPSA matches....just in time for the shooting season to end! :rolleyes:

So one comment regarding stage 1. I watched a lot of right handers go left instead of right on the back of the T (in fact I nearly considered it myself...it just felt more natural to go that way) but I also saw a lot of muzzles right on the 180 (and perhaps over....ok...OVER). There was no advantage going left vs right. Going right and doing the reload insured that the muzzle was pointed down range (for a right handed shooter). Its a minor thing but screwing up could become a MAJOR thing. Just something to consider for future matches.....overall (considering it was your first IPSC match)...you looked good! So did you enjoy your "freedom" of shooting in the open and dumping mags whereever you wanted? :P

I am REALLY glad you finally got your safety check out of the way and can now start shooting USPSA matches....just in time for the shooting season to end! :rolleyes:

So one comment regarding stage 1. I watched a lot of right handers go left instead of right on the back of the T (in fact I nearly considered it myself...it just felt more natural to go that way) but I also saw a lot of muzzles right on the 180 (and perhaps over....ok...OVER). There was no advantage going left vs right. Going right and doing the reload insured that the muzzle was pointed down range (for a right handed shooter). Its a minor thing but screwing up could become a MAJOR thing. Just something to consider for future matches.....overall (considering it was your first IPSC match)...you looked good! So did you enjoy your "freedom" of shooting in the open and dumping mags whereever you wanted? :P

Steve, I never thought about going right first at the T. But when I mapped out the 6 targets in between I decided that if I went right first I would possibly break 180 so I went left first. By doing that I would come back right and then go left again for the reload which would make my reload easier as I turn left to head backwards while keeping the muzzle down range. I really didn't want to get DQ'd my first match. Some ppl did it differently before me but I just felt like it was better, safer, quicker for me to run it a little different. Thats all. :-)

And I know... I wish I would've gotten my safety check sooner.

As for reloading in the open... watch one of these next videos where I lost focus again and skipped my reload and ran into slide lock. AND WHAT DID I DO... because of IDPA, go behind cover for it. And then slide lock also messed up my round count which is obvious. As I mentioned before I need to keep my focus.

Matt, I will work on pushing it sooner. :-) I also will clean the gun to make sure that they fall out freely and not sluggish (even when mag is empty).

Albert, it was nice to finally officially meet you. I've shot with you before. I don't remember where but I know I have. Like we discussed you were shooting a SP-01 that time.

I've got some tough things to work on... I just got Brian's book over the weekend and starting to read it is pointing out some things also. Especially awareness and focus. On some stages you can see confidence in the shots, ammo, "plan", etc. as evident by the smoothness of the CoF. Then others I show a lack of confidence as evident by extra shots, 2nd guessing, longer transitions, etc. Though, I do believe overall things are coming together but I still have a list of things to work on. :-)

BTW: I have two more videos...

<--- this CoF, I started thinking in the first port and skipped my reload and never regained focus. Though I only shot 3 C's (the rest A's) it wasn't smooth like I had planned.

Thank you guys for your compliments and criticism. In order to move forward, I need the insight. :-) And thank you Matt for running the match(es) and for getting my safety check done on relatively short notice.

Edited by Darryl Means

White Tape!!!!

Actually, if this is your first match, you're doing pretty dog gone good!

Yeah, I accidently shot him 2x. My only No Shoot of the day. And I had one mike. I hit the guy in the A zone but unfortunately it was in the black section. :rolleyes: Not too bad I think... but not great. :unsure:

BTW, I just saw the results and I finished 7th out of 14 in Production and shot a 66.03%. Was beat out by a GM, A, B, C, B, and C type shooters.

Edited by Darryl Means

Man.. you are getting a lot better really fast. :cheers:

Good vids.

Thanks Ben. I've got a long way to go but I do feel like some things are starting to make sense. :-)

Scott, though it was a simple bit of advice... I appreciate it. (slow down and focus on solid hits - run your own game)

I just saw the results for the IDPA match I shot last weekend and I won my first overall match. Beat a total of 16 ppl but 4 EXPs in there as well. I really had a great weekend. I still have a lot to work on but I'm happy with the results that I had.

Edited by Darryl Means

• 1 month later...

hey Darryl

I would like to say first off, Great Shooting. I would judge by what I see in the Videos that you are a solid B class shooter that will be an A soon.

That was very good but what you should work on is try to be smoother throughout the stage. I know the hat cam exaggerates the head movements more and gives the impression of more motion and that might be what I am seeing. By smoother I mean to better leave or enter what you have already picked as where you want to shoot from. Before you stop to shoot when you arrive at the port, box, etc: you should already have a completely steady sight picture and be ready to engage. Same for exiting, you should already be moving when you fire and call your last shot.

After a few more matches you will be there I am sure. As for the Stages and being prepared for them, you don't memorize them and say "I have to shoot this frome here and that from there". Although it ends up like that many times you can not limit yourself to that because if you overshoot or undershoot you will lose track of the stage and screw it up. It is best just to make yourself aware of the stage and where you want to engage the targets from and then visualize it in your mind before you shoot it.

I hope that helps.

Brian