Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean Loads With N340 For 45 Acp & 40?

OldNewGuy

Just got use of a friend's 650 and wanted to run some loads for my Kimber and Glock 21. Unfortunately the N340 load I am using is very dirty. Any suggestions?

230gr Montana Gold FMJ, 6.5gr N340, 1.260" OAL, 0.471" crimp out of a G21 stock barrel and I'm getting only 791 fps. Out of my Kimber I still only get 830 fps.

I'd like to push a 230gr FMJ anywhere between 850 to 900 fps. Suggestions for a cleaner burn? Switch to 320? Seat bullets deeper?

180gr Montana Gold FMJ, 5.9gr N340, 1.125" OAL, runs at 1022 fps out of a Glock 35 but the accuracy is not that hot and I get powder residues.

I'd like a load going around 1000fps, good accuracy at 50 yards and is clean. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Here's my humble advice. I pretty much use the same components for my .45 loads:

but, I use 230 MG CMJs, 6.7 gr 340, 1.260 oal, 3/4 crimp turn on my lee factory carbide die.

I don't recommend seating lower unless there's some documented results in a reliable manual. The .45 is a forgiving round, but I personally wouldn't touch the oal. At least not first.

I use CMJs because it doesn't have the lead exposure in the back of the bullet. This may be a source of addidional "dirt". Go for something that's has no lead exposure. Plated bullets from west coast, precision bullets, complete metal jackets from MG, etc.

Try using more taper crimp. 340 is a slower burning powder, so it needs some time to burn before letting the bullet go. If you don't have a lee factory carbide crimp die, get one!! It's some of the best 12 bucks you'll spend.

I don't recommend using 320 with the 230 grain bullet. It's too heavy a bullet to use such a fast burning powder. Switch to 200 grain if you want to go with 320.