Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good powder for 9mm and 45 ACP?

midvalleyshooter

We ought to make this a sticky:

Thanks Chuck.

You're more than welcome, but I got it from someone else - I forget who - on this forum, so I'm just passing it on. There's more up-to-date .45 ACP info on Accurate's website.

i think it's pretty hard to get just one type of powder to do everything with every gun. the fun part about reloading for me is in the experimentation. american select works great in my (actually it's borrowed) 9mm single stack with both 124gr remingtons and zero 147's. for my .45, bullseye w/185 berry's hollow bases, and clay's for 230 grainers(any kind!). it's really pretty hard to beat 230's and clays in a .45, i think anybody will tell you that. powder speed is very important, and it's relation to case volume and bullet weight is some serious voodoo! i am not giving any exact load data, and it bothers me when others do, cause' if you are not going to do the homework and find good data from published reloading manuals and the powder manufacturers themselves,..... i'm not even gonna go there! this forum(and others) is great, but if your not sure about your data, this ain't the place to find it. i watch guys at my club blow the heads off cases regularly, and they just can't seem to figure out why????

i think it's pretty hard to get just one type of powder to do everything with every gun. the fun part about reloading for me is in the experimentation. american select works great in my (actually it's borrowed) 9mm single stack with both 124gr remingtons and zero 147's. for my .45, bullseye w/185 berry's hollow bases, and clay's for 230 grainers(any kind!). it's really pretty hard to beat 230's and clays in a .45, i think anybody will tell you that. powder speed is very important, and it's relation to case volume and bullet weight is some serious voodoo! i am not giving any exact load data, and it bothers me when others do, cause' if you are not going to do the homework and find good data from published reloading manuals and the powder manufacturers themselves,..... i'm not even gonna go there! this forum(and others) is great, but if your not sure about your data, this ain't the place to find it. i watch guys at my club blow the heads off cases regularly, and they just can't seem to figure out why????

I agree completely about doing your own homework w/ published data and a chrono, but for me, I would want to see what others are using and what velocities they're getting just to have a base case average on what load ranges I should start with, and to see what I should be expecting from such a load in case something weird happens at the range. Most of all, I never would have discovered Clays had it not been for the thread where I saw the majority of people shooting .45s use that powder.