Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Oregon State IDPA Match Video

LeeIndy

The one thing I noticed is that I shoot to slide lock a whole lot more than you do. You seem to do retention reloads, you're petty good at them but I think they are slower and unnecessary.

I can remember doing three retention reloads the whole day. The shortened classifier stage, string 1. The stage with the garbage bag start, I reloaded before the run up to the appearing targets. The stage where you open the door engage three targets then run up to a tire wall. I retention reloaded while moving from one side of the tire wall to the other. Everywhere else, I did a slide lock reload.

Based on the official results, you dropped way too many points. I think you're shooting too fast. You dropped 106 points which is 53 seconds. Subtract that from your overall time, 228.06 seconds, and you get 175.06 seconds. Now divide that by your overall time and you get 0.768. If you look at the results from other major matches, you will see that ratio is generally between 0.85-0.95 for the top shooters. Slow down just a bit, and I bet you could cut the points down in half.

mattk

Based on the official results, you dropped way too many points. I think you're shooting too fast. You dropped 106 points which is 53 seconds. Subtract that from your overall time, 228.06 seconds, and you get 175.06 seconds. Now divide that by your overall time and you get 0.768. If you look at the results from other major matches, you will see that ratio is generally between 0.85-0.95 for the top shooters. Slow down just a bit, and I bet you could cut the points down in half.

mattk

yeah my gun was being a jammomatic and i didnt get a chance to shoot at all the week before. im gonna run cdp next year.

mattk

That's good info Matt. I didn't know that. Thanks. :cheers:

yeah my gun was being a jammomatic ...

That is why you don't shoot conversion barrels in a match that counts and that was a hard way to learn that lesson.

Matt,

That is good to know, I know how to do the math for IPSC, so thanks for the IDPA comparison. I shot .92, so that looks about right. Now I just need to do the reloads and get into the cover quicker ;) but it was OK for my 4th time doing it IDPA style.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

One more piece of IDPA info, if you're looking at ways to break down your results, is to look at the minimum required number of shots per match and divide it by your final time (including Points Down). Master class IDPA shooters have a ratio pretty close to 1.00. The superstars like Dave S. and Donnie B. have a ratio great than 1.00. If you start looking at the middle to lower tier Master class IDPA shooters their ratios tend to be in the 0.85-0.95. You're probably asking yourself what does this really mean. Well basically how much time does it take you to fire the required number of rounds per match. One shot per second is pretty slow, but if you could some how get all of your splits and transitions to be one second you'd be a fairly competent shooter in IDPA. Really there is no reason to go that slowly, so you can make up time like in the bathtub stage of the Oregon match. Twelve required shots, I shot it in nine seconds and change. I just gave myself three seconds to use someplace else, one of the stages that had a significant amount of movement or a retention reload. Movement and reloads are basically the places in IDPA where the most time can be lost, just like USPSA imagine that! ;)

If you look at the results from this year's IDPA Nationals and break the results down using both methods I've shown, you will see a pretty good break down between the classifications of each division. You'll get a pretty good idea of how a Master class shooter compares to an Expert class shooter and so on.

mattk

So at this match the were about 170 shots (if I counted right) so that would get me about .93.

The highest Master score was .84 so was the match more time consuming on non shooting stuff or the skill level of the Masters low in your opinion/anaylsis?

I like the math stuff, thanks again.

ps. Homie, judging by your new pick (which is appropriate ;) ) I would say you are down to no class :D with no ass :)

Edited by Loves2Shoot

So at this match the were about 170 shots (if I counted right) so that would get me about .93.

The highest Master score was .84 so was the match more time consuming on non shooting stuff or the skill level of the Masters low in your opinion/anaylsis?

I counted 165 rounds minimum, but 170 is close enough.

I'll be honest, when I look at the numbers for large IDPA matches, like Nationals, it's hard to know how those ratios compare to the matches I shoot because I really don't know what the stages at Nationals look like. It's possible that the stages at Nationals don't require as much movement or as many required retention reloads, but I doubt it. My guess is the top Master class shooters at Nationals really are that good and that's why their shot per second ratio is as high as it is.

I can't explain why the Master class shooters at the Oregon State match didn't have higher shot per second ratios. I'll be honest, there were more Master class shooters at the Oregon State match than I've ever shot with before. It was a really top heavy match.

mattk

Doing the points dropped 101 (50.5 seconds) from my score of 246, I get 195.5. Now divide that by 246 and I get a ratio of .0794.

Doing the other one... 170 shots by 246, my ratio goes down to .0691. Damn, I've got a lot to work on.

Scott/Matt... I wish I could've seen you guys shoot. You guys breezed through this. Especially you Scott. Next time.

Edited by Darryl Means

yeah but i need to go back threw and see how many sec in penalties i got. and my gun was a jaming all the time. you need about 15 secs jams taken out and other stuff. i do shoot realy fast and generally i make up for it. i just hadnt shot in forever. im gonna run cdp all next year and practice practice practice. i need to stop switching guns all the time.