Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up 012

james shanahan

So I bought a 012 a couple of months ago and am looking to see where you guys who have been using these for a while put them. I have gone from my side to way forward and now right over my front pocket. I seem to not like as much rearward rake as I have seen some other guys using. Any tips or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

\

James

James,

It's usually sort of a compromise really. Somewhere around the front pocket for that type of holster is pretty common. I like to set them up so that my right hand drops directly onto the gun from the surrender position....you can just smack your hand down and snatch the gun up. That usually gives a pretty reasonable position so that you can grab the gun on the way up from hands at sides without fumbling around. Years ago I ran a lot more rearward rake than I do now....and I know my draw is faster. If you really want to get it dialed in, set it where you think it should be, then videotape yourself doing draws to see if there's any extra movement in your arm/hand. You want as little manipulation of the hand/arm as possible....watch your shoulder to see if you're having to move it up, down, forward etc....eliminate that as well. Any extra movement is wasted time and a less repeatable draw.

I like my gun at the front edge of the front pocket. I index the end of the barrel with my middle finger, So my arms aren't completely at sides. It is something that i have picked up and it is easy to repeat, as long as you index your hands.

James,

+1 on what Bart said.

I run a Safriland 012. I like it on my front pocket, and the muzzle is pointing slightly out in front and between my feet. It has a slight rearwrd rake, but not much. I like to come down on or up to the pistol in a relaxed posistion and bring it sraight up. I do not like the holster too far in front of me in case of prone or sitting starts.

You have to experiment to see what fits your body and style to be comfortable. You do not want to have to pull the pistol rearward of your body to draw. and you do not want it to hinder movements such as sitting or running.

Good Luck!

On Matt Burkett's PSV4 Shooting Faster, he has a great segment on holster alignment. The big thing is to not have any stressors on the shoulder, elbow or wrist. The holster should be placed horizontally and vertically in such a way where you can draw from the holster straight to your first target, and do so without having the wrist, elbow or shoulder cocked into anything awkward or uncomfortable. All that equals inefficiency. Inefficiency equals slow.

Rich