Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target not taped

redmist10

I was shooting revolver and went empty after firing two shots on this target. The target had four holes on it (two from the last competitor, two from me - both .45 caliber holes). During my reload I mumbled "that target wasn't pasted" and then I kept shooting...at that point the RO yelled "stop" and gave me a reshoot. During the reshoot I hit a barrel and it passed through which = a mike since the barrel was theoretically "hard cover."

The end result - my mike partially cost me a win at the match (lost by 21 match points).

Just to play with the numbers, Steve, I took your results for Stage 1, converted the mike into an A, and rescored the stage. You would have won the stage, picking up 10.6 pts on your score, and your higher HF would have knocked Dennis' score down by 5 pts, producing a swing of 15.5755 pts between you two. I don't know if it makes you feel any better to come in second by 5.5 pts instead of 21.1 pts... :(

Of course, I have no idea what might have happened had you been allowed to complete your first run.

As an RO [but not at this match], I wouldn't stop you during the run, because there's always the possibility that your score can be determined. The easiest case is with two different bullet diameters. Even with 4 equal-diameter hits on a target, you'd have a "known score" on the stage if they were all equivalent hits [all As, or all Cs, etc.]. Even two 45 shooters might have uniquely different bullet holes due to the shape of the bullets or the type of grease ring. Only if the RO cannot determine YOUR score, you must reshoot.

Edited by professor

US9.1.4 Unrestored targets - If, following completion of a course of fire

by a previous competitor, one or more targets have not been

properly patched or taped for the competitor being scored, the

Range Officer must judge whether or not an accurate score can

be determined. If there are extra scoring hits or questionable

penalty hits thereon, and it is not obvious which hits were made

by the competitor being scored, the affected competitor must be

ordered to reshoot the course of fire.

Nanci, I don't think you had grounds to request a reshoot in your situation. There were no extra scoring hits or questionable penalty hits involved. There was a hit on the target. On an edge hit from a shotgun slug, I doubt any RO could make a definitive judgment that it was or was not your slug that created the hit. BTW, if the RO knew that the hit was there from a previous shooter, and he didn't make sure that it was taped, then he ought to be the one taking heat from the CRO. No way is it in his discretion to claim that you didn't have the hit.

And just for the record, NEVER VOLUNTARILY TAKE A RESHOOT. The time for practice is during practice. Every stage you shoot during a match has the potential to be the "stage from heck", due to a host of potential problems [mikes, jammed guns, procedurals, DQ, etc.]

I don't know if it makes you feel any better to come in second by 5.5 pts instead of 21.1 pts... :(

Yes and no, second is second but I like to know that I earned my second place without interference or assistance. I would have liked my five points and possibly a better time on the first run. I'm sure I was not completely at ease having to take the reshoot. Not to mention any mental distraction caused for the rest of the match knowing I had a mike on my second stage. I know this shouldn't have affected me but I had a decent start to the match and the whole situation really annoyed me as I left the stage. I'd like to think I let it go after the stage but you never know if that was sitting in the deep recesses of my mind while shooting the next five stages. Everyone can relate to pressing for a stage or two because you think you need to pick up the pace to make up for the mike.

The end result - my mike partially cost me a win at the match (lost by 21 match points).

Like I said, this was only part of the reason I finished second. Waiting on the swingers on the one stage cost me and too slow a run on my first stage (7) sealed my fate...all in all, I shot it and deserved what I ended up with. The question is what I take from that experience and what (if anything) anyone else can learn from it as well.