Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Monarch/NNY .223 Brass?

revchuck

Before you ask, yeah, I did a search. Nada.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I had gotten a box (which my son shot up) and when sizing the cases noticed that it took more pressure than either the Federal or LC93 brass I was doing; additionally, it took a little pressure to make it bottom out in the headspace gauge - not much, but the other headstamps didn't require any. All the brass was from factory ammo, fired in my rifle (AR15 w/a GI chamber). A sliver of neck stuck out from the gauge as well - good thing I'm trimming with an electric drill. ;)

I don't know if the problem was caused by hot loading or soft brass, and want to stay away if it's bad stuff.

Thanks!

Before you ask, yeah, I did a search. Nada.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I had gotten a box (which my son shot up) and when sizing the cases noticed that it took more pressure than either the Federal or LC93 brass I was doing; additionally, it took a little pressure to make it bottom out in the headspace gauge - not much, but the other headstamps didn't require any. All the brass was from factory ammo, fired in my rifle (AR15 w/a GI chamber). A sliver of neck stuck out from the gauge as well - good thing I'm trimming with an electric drill. ;)

I don't know if the problem was caused by hot loading or soft brass, and want to stay away if it's bad stuff.

Thanks!

I've had good luck with this stuff. Yeah it needs prep work, but a lot of guys around here shoot it and I inherite the brass. I've had some Lake City that was in terrible shape too. The monarch, however, doesn't seem to hold up as well over many firings. But hey, for practice ammo what the hell, it gets the job done.