Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC Load Questions

trodrig

Thanks for the info guys! I'm hoping to be able to shoot a hundred rounds of each powder this coming weekend and decide which one I like the feel of best. If it turns out that I like 4756 best, I think I will do as Chet suggests and try the 121 or 124 grain bullet to cut down on the spillage! I'll keep an eye on the ES with Longshot too. If I go with that one, I was thinking I might need to bump it up a little bit for some extra margin over the 165pf floor. I'll need to shoot some hot/cold rounds to see the effects of temperature. Does anyone know if any of these powders are temperature sensitive? If so, is it a positive or negative temp coefficient?

When testing different loads side by side, do ya'll simply run bill drills and see which one allows you to track the dot best?

Thanks,

Trodrig

As I recall, 4756 is reverse temperature sensitive...you need less of it when it's cold out.

Thanks again everyone! I think Dave hit the nail on the head. I need more experience shooting to just get the feel for how the open gun reacts in general. I shot it for the first time in a match this past weekend and it is a totally different experience from my 45! I'm going to go ahead and try to get 7625 up to major and then load a bunch of one of these three powders and shoot the crap out of the gun for awhile! :) Then maybe I'll come back and do some more side by side comparisons!

I'll make sure to re-check the loads when going to new lots of powders too. When ya'll switch lots, do you work up again from a reduced load or just fire a few over the chronograph to make sure you're still making major?

Thanks for all ya'lls help! :cheers:

Trodrig

When ya'll switch lots, do you work up again from a reduced load or just fire a few over the chronograph to make sure you're still making major?

I usually back off a couple of tenths, and chrono once (knowing what the last lot did under the same conditions). Take notes, and adjust as necessary, and re-chrono to verify. Lately, 7625 has been pretty consistent, so... ;)