Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer strut pin

John Dunn

I swapped out the hammer/sear/disconnector on a S&W 1911 yesterday. Went from factory parts to the Extreme Engineering parts. Trigger pull dropped from 7 to 5 lbs without touching the springs or doing any stoning of engagement surfaces. The part that semi-sucked was swapping the strut. The strut hole on the S&W part measured 0.99 and the EE part measured 0.94.

Measurements taken with gage pins, as I couldn't believe how tight that sucker was. I finally managed to press the pin in with a vise after chucking the pin up and sanding, and slightly chamfering the pin hole on the hammer. Still a very tight press fit, no need for any peening to retain the pin. So, the question, is this par for the course? How many thou of press fit is acceptable, because this seemed like too much. Thanks!

I swapped out the hammer/sear/disconnector on a S&W 1911 yesterday. Went from factory parts to the Extreme Engineering parts. Trigger pull dropped from 7 to 5 lbs without touching the springs or doing any stoning of engagement surfaces. The part that semi-sucked was swapping the strut. The strut hole on the S&W part measured 0.99 and the EE part measured 0.94.

Measurements taken with gage pins, as I couldn't believe how tight that sucker was. I finally managed to press the pin in with a vise after chucking the pin up and sanding, and slightly chamfering the pin hole on the hammer. Still a very tight press fit, no need for any peening to retain the pin. So, the question, is this par for the course? How many thou of press fit is acceptable, because this seemed like too much. Thanks!

Usually the hammer strut pin fits really tight. The pin is really tight for the hammer hole but it move freely in the strut hole. So dont worry the situation you has described is normal. :)