Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun won't group

Chris

I just got my SVI back from getting hard chromed.  While it was out, I figured I'd clean up the dings on the muzzle crown.  So I chuck said barrel in the lathe and give it a nice new 11 degree crown.  After putting it all back together again, it doesn't seem to hold groups like it used to before I touched the barrel and it was plated.

The ammo hasn't changed.  180 Bear Creek lead with 4.5 Titegroup and WSR primer.  The best group I could get out of it was like 5 inches at 20 yards and every so often, I'll get a flyer thats WAY out there.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?  Is it just me?

Yeah because #1 jacketed often shooter better than lead in many guns and #2 Bear Creeks are sometimes inconsistent. Inconsitency begets inaccuracy.

I tell you this as a consumer of many thousands of Bear Creek bullets in .45, .40, and 9mm.

Particularly in .40, Montana Golds will shoot circles around the Bear Creeks.

Just buy a box of factory ammo to determine if your gun is messed up.

I have a SV gun with a SV barrel that I bought new.    Well I gone back and forth with 40 and 45 but now that I only shoot 40 I notice that I cant really shoot groups like my 45.   I looked at the muzzle and noticed that where the bull barrel should make contact with the slide it doesnt.    I can slip a sheet of paper around the portion of the barrel.    From 11 o closk to about 2 o clock.   The bottom portion where the guide rod plug is making contact.

Would this make the gun not shoot the best that it can?

Iam shooting jacketed 180s at about 940 fps (titegroup).

Loaded OAL 1.165

any thoughts thanks