Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee sizing die scratching brass?

boo radley

Weird -- was loading on my 650 last night, and it got noticeably more difficult to operated. For some reason, it is now taking more effort to size/decap the brass in station one. And, when I look at the brass, it's streaked with numerous thin scratches, running the length of the case.

???

This is new. I pulled the sizing die, and ran a Q-tip around the inside of the carbide ring, but it's still happening. I don't see any visible damage, but something inside the die is odd....I don't guess the scratches will make a difference, but it seems peculiar that the hard carbide could somehow have become damaged. Anyone else have this happen? Probably worth it to get a new die.

Weird -- was loading on my 650 last night, and it got noticeably more difficult to operated. For some reason, it is now taking more effort to size/decap the brass in station one. And, when I look at the brass, it's streaked with numerous thin scratches, running the length of the case.

???

This is new. I pulled the sizing die, and ran a Q-tip around the inside of the carbide ring, but it's still happening. I don't see any visible damage, but something inside the die is odd....I don't guess the scratches will make a difference, but it seems peculiar that the hard carbide could somehow have become damaged. Anyone else have this happen? Probably worth it to get a new die.

Clean it with alcohol and then polish it clean it again with alcohol and then try again. Streaks should be gone. If not consider buying a new die.

Dick

???

Sounds like you may have chipped it... carbide is super hard and brittle. It may have a sliver of jacket up in there somewhere.

Edited by JThompson

I don't guess the scratches will make a difference, but it seems peculiar that the hard carbide could somehow have become damaged.

Call them at 1-262-673-3075 before you replace it. They might work out something with you. Worth a shot.

Jim