Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Longslides

Rufus The Bum

I have about $1500 to spend on a Single Stack Longslide. I was wondering if I should go with the an STI Trojan, Springfield PX9129L or a Custom. I know what factory longslides are going for, but what about custom longslides? Are they in the same price-range? What would be my best bet? :wacko:

I have a 5 inch Trojan. It is a great pistol. Very accurate. You would not be dissappointed.

That said, if I had $1500 to spend I might look else where, perhaps Briley. For a $1,000 the Trojan is an exceptional value. But with an extra $500 there might be some others out there also. Perhaps a Baer or custom.

Maybe I've got too many guns on hand, but were I trying the longslide route, I'd get a new slide/barrel built on an existing gun. That way all the work on the frame is already done, and I can switch back if need be.

For $1500, you can get a Caspian longslide, any of a bunch of Match barrels in 6" and have it fitted. And have money left over.

Now, if you just have to have a new gun, I can understand that. The Springfield I tested for the book was such a sweet piece that one of my testers simply had to have it, so we wrestled it away from Springfield and he's a happy camper. We put a 6" Bar-sto in it, and he's The stylin' L-10 shooter at our club.

Maybe I've got too many guns on hand, but were I trying the longslide route, I'd get a new slide/barrel built on an existing gun. That way all the work on the frame is already done, and I can switch back if need be.

For $1500, you can get a Caspian longslide, any of a bunch of Match barrels in 6" and have it fitted. And have money left over.

Now, if you just have to have a new gun, I can understand that. The Springfield I tested for the book was such a sweet piece that one of my testers simply had to have it, so we wrestled it away from Springfield and he's a happy camper. We put a 6" Bar-sto in it, and he's The stylin' L-10 shooter at our club.

Been there, did that. It will cost almost as much as a new gun to put on a top end unless you can do the gunsmith fitting yourself.

You don't always have to fit the slide and frame. I slid a Springie long slide on a Baer frame and it works perfectly--at least for the last 5,000 rounds. If I were to get a long slide again, that's the way I'd go. My frame is hard-chromed, checkered, contoured, has an incredible trigger, top notch lockworks and good grips. (It would cost me a mint to do that to a new gun.) If I want to shoot IDPA (perish the thought) I'd just put the Baer slide back on. BTW, I welded up the barrel lugs and the Springe is now as accurate as the Baer.