now im wanting to do it up for a open ipsc and steel challenge shooting

and my where do i start for bits and what to get done

im thinking

trigger

cmore

porting

moon clips

new grips

but have know idear on what brands/types , where to get bits from and what other things to do to it ?

all help or comments will be gratefull

I got a kick-ass economy trigger on my 686 with a spring kit from Wolff Gun Springs!

I made up some of my 'pet' loads, using FEDERAL primers. After installing the Wolff kit, I went to the range and loosened the main spring adjustment screw ALL THE WAY. Then I tightened it just until the gun works consistently. Add some loctite, and go shoot. Sometimes with non-federal primers, I get a light hit.

It coul probably be smoother with some polishing, or lighter (SA) with some stoning, but it's pretty darn good right now.

Moon clips are a pain in the butt for a 686. I've tried them - a lot!! You gotta get the right brass (38 short colt), right clips, and right bullets. The clips are EXPENSIVE compared to a 625. The brass is easily recovered for re-use. Even with everything tuned, they don't 'drop in' like a 625 clip does.

I get a lot more mileage and speed out of the safariland CompIII speed loaders.

I really like my grips too. They're they soft black rubber ones, that are very popular. I forget the brand name, but it's one of the well known brands. It really makes recoil controll easier.

If you're gonna shoot it in 'open' in USPSA, you'll be running against the autos. There's no 'open' revolver division. Don't expect anything but last place, all the time. Of course, it will still be a lot of fun!

If you're gonna shoot it in 'open' in USPSA, you'll be running against the autos. There's no 'open' revolver division. Don't expect anything but last place, all the time.

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure of that..... ;)

If you're gonna shoot it in 'open' in USPSA, you'll be running against the autos. There's no 'open' revolver division. Don't expect anything but last place, all the time.

Ok, maybe you'll beat the occassional DQ, or the guy who can't reload and squibs on every stage...

But let's be serious. Running a revolver in open class is for FUN and ENTERTAINMENT value. Not for winning.

thanks guys ive got an open sti as well ,so for me the open 686 will be for fun or in austraila where they have 10 round mags limts

ive seen guys with a revolver finish right up there in open

Edited by dskd

Ok, maybe you'll beat the occassional DQ, or the guy who can't reload and squibs on every stage...

Wow. Jeff, you really have never seen any good revolver shooters do their thing, have you?

If you look at the combined results that are posted after many major matches, you'll notice that the better wheelgunners routinely clobber dozens of Open shooters. And that's mostly with 6-shot 625s, Jeff.

I will agree that shooting a revolver in any class other than Revolver is a stunt. But you need to be very careful here, Jeff, you could lose a lot of money betting on an average Open shooter against a good Revolver guy.

so can you shoot 38 short colt in a 357 mag ?

does it shoot ok i would of thort it would of had a lot of jump before it gets to the barrel ?

Yes, it works great! I have experienced excellent accuracy--even at 50 yards--with .38 Short Colt loads in both my match 627s. No problemo.

But let's be serious. Running a revolver in open class is for FUN and ENTERTAINMENT value. Not for winning.

Jeff sometimes a blind sow can find an acorn. I know a 8 shot open revolver can compete on some stages with the open autos, all in all it is still the Indian. And you are right a open revolver is certainly in it for the FUN and entertainment value. Load that puppy up an start a whuppin.

• 2 weeks later...
.....you'll be running against the autos.....Don't expect anything but last place, all the time.....

Looks like top revolver beat over 100 autos at the most recent USPSA area match.....

http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/documents...ts_combined.pdf

;)

That wouldn't have been you would it Mike? Congrads!! Looks like Young Carmoney did right well himself. Good shooting both of you!!! I guess he's not heard of JM yet?

Granderojo

I would start with S&W Performance Center with a sight change and trigger job. Moon clips won't be as fast as speed loaders for 6-shot 686 in my opinion, but Karl Sokol and Apex can do the conversion for you. Jet loaders and S-land Comp III's work great. Have your cylinders throated, too. Craig Spegel makes the best grips around, and they are cut for loaders, too. Mine are smooth, finger grooved for square butt in Cocobolo. Novak's and Cylinder & Slide have them in stock. I don't know much about comps as mine is stock. If you shoot a USPSA match with it, you will need 8 speedloaders... pretty funny to watch. I shot a couple with mine. I took a few stages that were six rounds or less.

Edited by Doublehaul

Just wanted Jeff686 to understand what I was saying earlier......Jeff??? Oh Jeff??????? Jeff?

<<sound of crickets chirping>>

Oh, yea. That sound was coming from me...

I guess I forget how well some can shoot a revo, and how bad some can shoot an open gun.

I'm just used to the locals matches... the 625s are usually at the bottom.