Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 + MasterBlaster180 = Smoke!?

WillM

Most of what I've read, [except for Flexmoney] says that 231 and TG smoke but it will be cured by using VV N320.

I'm working up a minor .40 load for my 12-year old son's XD Tactical and bought a pound of N320. This morning shooting MB 180grain bullet over N320 at 3.5, 3.7, 3.9 and 4.1 grains - they all smoked as much as 4.0 grains of 231 did last night. This morning the 4.0 grain 231 loads hardly smoked at all. The only difference was that last night it was clear and sunny and this morning it was overcast with a fine mist in the air. COL is 1.135"

My son did not even notice the smoke but really liked the feel of the 231 load. I shot it last night without him and it was very accurate at 20 yards but the smoke was very heavy. This morning I watched him and noticed very little smoke - he had a big smile on his face. I wouldn't even think twice about this except for my experience last night [and what I've read here] and my concern that he'll find himself enveloped in a huge smoke ball if the atmospheric conditions are right [wrong].

I took the last 10 rounds I loaded of 4.3 grains of N320 over 180 grain MB and shot them through my STI .40. More smoke than ever!!

Back to the drawing board, but I'd appreciate suggestions. I will probably load the last of my 231 for him at the same length as he loved the feel of it. I'll also try some TG and see how that goes.

For my STI major .40, I am going to keep working up the VV N320 from the 4.3 to 5.1 grains over the 180MB which is the heaviest load I've seen. These will be COL 1.200". I have been using MT Gold 180CMJ over 231 with no smoke but changed to MasterBlaster for price reasons.

Suggestions and experience appreciated. Will M>

It's from the MB, I had the same experience with the exact load. Go back to plated if you can afford it. Bite the bullet...

TG - great prices, but you should see even MORE smoke!!

I'm going to try the alliant e3/red dot. Some people have been posting a lot here as a clean alternative to 320, but I believe most will use plated bullets as well. Good Luck!