Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Help

lgbmike

I normaly load Winchester .230 FMJ to 1.255 OAL. Had to switch to Montana Gold .230 FMJ. Do I keep the same OAL? Wilson Combat (my gun maker) recomended this length and it seems to work ok. MG profile seems a little different.

Thanks,

Michael

i suppose the simple answer is that if it works, load them that way. Wilson should be the experts on that matter since they know the dimensions of how they cut their chambers.

differences in profile might be an issue depending on at what length the bullet engages the riflings. most round nose bullets ought to work at the length you mention, but your caution is also well founded since you don't want malfunctions due to what might appear to be slight differences due to bullet profile design.

i've used some 45 230 montana gold bullets set at between 1.250-1.254. i've had no malfunctions at that length in a variety of barrels, mostly Kart and Ed Brown. But as i mentioned before, if it works, then there's probably no reason to worry unless you have a particular issue in mind, such as engaging the riflings or pressure.

i suppose the simple answer is that if it works, load them that way. Wilson should be the experts on that matter since they know the dimensions of how they cut their chambers.

differences in profile might be an issue depending on at what length the bullet engages the riflings. most round nose bullets ought to work at the length you mention, but your caution is also well founded since you don't want malfunctions due to what might appear to be slight differences due to bullet profile design.

i've used some 45 230 montana gold bullets set at between 1.250-1.254. i've had no malfunctions at that length in a variety of barrels, mostly Kart and Ed Brown. But as i mentioned before, if it works, then there's probably no reason to worry unless you have a particular issue in mind, such as engaging the riflings or pressure.

Thanks Superdude.