Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching WSP to Fed. Small Primers. Reduce charge?

I ran out of Winchester primers, and I can't buy them local anymore. Should I reduce powder charges for the Federal primers, or does it not really matter?

The load I've been using most often is 4.4 or 4.5 grains of TiteGroup in 9mm with a 115 gr. jacketed bullet. With the Winchester primers at least, I can go up to 4.6 grains without signs of high pressure, even though it's beyond most loadbook data.

I see that some load data specifies a certain primer, but other data doesn't mention primer brand or type. I have also heard that Federal primers are "hotter."

With shot to shot variance being what it is with the 9mm(and I can't remember anymore, been running the same load for years) I can't tell when I'm shooting ammo running Federal primers or Wichester primers, Remingtons, etc.

I can tell a little bit if I use Magnum primers in Large Pistol instead of the regular stuff in the 45ACP - depending on the load.

I ran out of Winchester primers, and I can't buy them local anymore. Should I reduce powder charges for the Federal primers, or does it not really matter?

The load I've been using most often is 4.4 or 4.5 grains of TiteGroup in 9mm with a 115 gr. jacketed bullet. With the Winchester primers at least, I can go up to 4.6 grains without signs of high pressure, even though it's beyond most loadbook data.

I see that some load data specifies a certain primer, but other data doesn't mention primer brand or type. I have also heard that Federal primers are "hotter."

Have you ever chrono'd that load? I'd be curious as to the details of the load (bullet type, oal, etc.) and velocity results.

In 9mm, I load 3.9gr TiteGroup with a 124 gr Zero FMJ or Berry RN and I see no discernible difference between Winchester, Federal, or CCI small pistol primers. They all chrono with a PF = 130. I did see a difference with small rifle primers but didn't chrono them.

-Cuz.

Have you ever chrono'd that load? I'd be curious as to the details of the load (bullet type, oal, etc.) and velocity results.

In 9mm, I load 3.9gr TiteGroup with a 124 gr Zero FMJ or Berry RN and I see no discernible difference between Winchester, Federal, or CCI small pistol primers. They all chrono with a PF = 130. I did see a difference with small rifle primers but didn't chrono them.

-Cuz.

Haven't bought the screens for the Pact Mk. IV, yet; I don't know how fast they are going, but the data says the 4.5gr load is about 1050fps like most factory ammo. Very accurate with Remington 115gr hollow points (the cheap UMC type) though. Precision Delta bullets are cheaper, but the profile must vary some, so I get more variance than usual in OAL.

OAL I use is 1.11". Usually get plus 0.03"/minus 0 with Rem HP; plus 0.11"/minus 0 with Precision Delta.

I crimp just enough to remove the bell, which is usually 0.377-0.38", depending on the brass.

I've tried the same load with Berry's plated bullets, but they don't seem to group well for me.

I might need a 124gr minor load someday if you don't mind sharing the details of your load, too.

Edited by Suburban Commando