Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rare Federal SP Primer Sighting

AustinMike

Will wonders never cease? I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse today to see if they happened to have any 4th of July sales on reloading stuff and they had four 1K boxes of Federal small pistol primers on the shelf! They've been out so long that they had taken the price tag off the shelf, so I had to go ask how much they were. They were $22.99, compared to $24.99 for Winchester! I asked if they had any more and the guy said yes, but no such luck - he had mistaken some shotshell primers in the back for these. Weird that they had these, but I grabbed them. They must have been hidden in some back stock or something and they just put them out. The department manager said that his Federal rep is still saying they have no primers to sell to anyone. My Glock trigger jobs are usually OK with Winchesters, but I like the extra insurance of the softer primers and they were cheaper to boot! Score! :cheers:

We've seen some (but not many) around these parts lately too. My guess is they arrived in a small quantity, and flew off the shelf so fast there were only 4 boxes left when you got there today. I just got 10K myself about 3 ~ 4 weeks ago.

I happened to stop in at the Sportsman's Warehouse here last week and found that they had about 15K Fed SP on hand. I grabbed 7K to bump my stock up to 15K (didn't want to be greedy). On Sat they still had most of them left and I almost bought another 5K just in case....have to go right by there tomorrow too. I think they lasted a while because nobody thinks they'll have any at this point and have stopped checking. The guy I talked with said they were told by the Federal rep that was the last they'd see for quite some time since the rest were all going in military ammo or their own ammo.

The Federal primer shortage has been talked about a lot lately at the local matches.

I'm thinking this would be a great photo shop oppurtunity for someone. Take a pic of the the Federal primer box and make it look like Big Foot (aka sasquatch) is holding them as he/she heads off into the deep forest.

Or the Loch Ness monster has a sleeve in his mouth.

LOL!