Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technique question: target acquisition for an optical sight

SanduneCC

Gents,

I’m running an Eotech mounted on an AR. I have a question on what’s the right way to break the first shot on the first target. Say, from the low ready, should I:

1) What I’m doing now: lower my head to optain the cheekweld, bring muzzle up to acquire target, I tend to overshoot the muzzle rise – moving up past the target’s head, moving back down again to the chest, and then Bang. I feel I’m wasting time doing the up then down thing.

2) Or is it better to: bring muzzle up slowly from the target’s crotch, easing it to the chest and then Bang.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Your number #1 option is no good. Keep your eyes on target throughout the entire presentation. Don't lower your head. Bring the sight to your eyes, not vice versa. There is no need to bring the muzzle up to the target "slowly" as your #2 option states. Bring the sight to your eyes quickly and efficiently BUT without any extra movement. Don't try to force it, just let it happen.

• 4 months later...
Your number #1 option is no good. Keep your eyes on target throughout the entire presentation. Don't lower your head. Bring the sight to your eyes, not vice versa. There is no need to bring the muzzle up to the target "slowly" as your #2 option states. Bring the sight to your eyes quickly and efficiently BUT without any extra movement. Don't try to force it, just let it happen.

well said