Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feed Lip Width Variation

10ring

Most of my 38 Sooper mags have feed lip width of 0.355" to 0.360". The front and back of the feed lip width are the same on a given mag. I recently had to have one of my mags replaced. The replacement had a feed lip width of 0.380" at the back and 0.365" at the front. If I use a stout mag spring in this mag, the top round seems to bind up when it is being stripped off. If I use a stock STI mag spring it seems to work okay.

I'm concerned about two things and was wondering if I should be concerned, or if this should work okay. 1. with a front feed lip width of 0.365", is this wide enough to cause a cartridge to bind? and 2. with the feed lip width going from wide to narrow, back to front, would this cause the top round to have to push the stack of rounds down as it is stripped off the top of the magazine, thereby causing more force to be needed?

You know what works, and the new one isn't like the ones that work, so make it that way. The back of the round is too high, and to go through the lips it has to be pressed down and press down the whole stack, you nailed it. That is why it is binding.

The new mags are all over the map, it doesn't surprise me at all that it won't run right.

Check the body, it is probably tapered as well.

I did a calculation today to see how much the stack would have to be pushed down to make way for the rim of the case sliding from a wider feed lip space to a narrower feed lip space. Assuming a case rim of 0.401", it looks like the stack would have to push down about 0.018" for the widths noted in the original post. It's not much but if the stack was sticking it could present a problem.