Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stages That Stick With You

38superman

After 3 years in USPSA I couldn't begin to guess how many stages I have shot.

The number has to be well up into the hundreds.

The ones that are the most memorable are not the ones I really trashed or the ones I burned down.

The stages I remember well are the ones that were the most fun to shoot.

These are the ones that I can describe in great detail, target placement, how I shot, etc.

My personal favorite has always been the Dark House at Pasa Park.

Theres just something about running though a dark stage with a flashlight that brings out the kid in me.

Man that's fun.

What really suprises me is how many I can remember as if I shot them yesterday.

The interesting part is that I can't really recall too many stand and shoots.

It's the field courses (and bubble gum) that tend to stay with you.

Weird Huh.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

That is very cool. I'm almost a polar opposite. I don't remember (well) hardly any of the stages I've ever shot. I'm not sure if they just blend together, or if my brain is so limited in capacity that I can ill afford to keep the memory of one stage up or I'll forget how to shoot the next stage.

Either way - I've shot a ton of great matches that inherently means a ton of great stages. Just don't have much of a recollection what I did in them.

J

I guess the real question here is what is the difference.

Good design?

Unusual design?

Espescially challenging?

Weird props?

Good mental programming?

Why do we mentally discard some stages like a used flashlight battery while others stay with you forever.

What is it that makes a stage really memorable?

T

Edited by 38superman

Could it be that stages that you have to analyze and rehearse more than others also stick in memory better? Especially if your plan works and you shoot the stage well, as rehearsed.

I can still remember some of the early days (5 years ago) stages fairly well, but then I don't shoot that many matches a year (10 perhaps) so I have less to forget.. <_<

Edited by RogerT

I've been shooting IPSC since 1988. That's a lot of stages.

Most of the stages I remember had some novel twist to them. Just off the top of my head:

Stages at Wally Arida's Norco club in the mid-90's where you started the stage straddling a telephone pole and had to draw and shoot over a wall (pic)

http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/1994/Lineman.jpg - several more pics from those matches here

http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/Matches.html

The first time I shot a "window washer" stage with the wobbly platform. Same for the wobbly bridge prop at Space City in Houston.

The Star Wars themed Area match up in the Northwet - particularly the stage where the "shoot" targets were white Stormtroopers and the noshoots were tan.

Shooting from a helicopter (on the ground) in Phoenix. The flying pig no shoot prop at three consecutive Area 4 matches.

Shooting the Texas Star in a match for the first time. The windmill prop at Texas Limited

http://www.krtraining.com/IPSC/Matches/200...tage2/index.htm

The "Flintstones" car that you had to push backward up the track with your feet at a big match in San Antonio.

Karl

Wally's halloween matchs at Norco were so fun...I remember one stage called the headless horseman. You had to put a minimum of one shot in "upper A/B panel" per target...The trick was that since the horseman is headless, his head could be anywhere in relation to the body of the target...

My home club, Linea de Fuego in San Diego, when I lived there, had some great stages. The wizard of hOZe was a classic. Start position was pushing a house over onto a wicked witch. The target holders were all painted like flying monkeys. And the mover at the end was another wicked witch. They also had another great stage called "weather or not." It had no shoot steel poppers that would dump a bucket of water on your head if it got knocked down. Start position was an umbrella in your weak hand.

Edited by carinab

I don't recall the stages because they were massive but we had several "Shoot till you puke" matches with a minimum of 4 50+ round stages and then there was "La Matcha Loca" in San Antonio with the same concept. They were always great and mind benders to boot...

I especially liked the Waterfall stage at the '05 Mississippi Classic.

A lot of folks on the forum complain about the "bubble gum stages" and "monkey motions".

Some people like novelty stages, some people hate them but everbody remembers them.

Tls

Edited by 38superman