Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sights and muzzle flip

cztn

I am fairly new to shooting handguns. I purchased a 9mm CZ 75 back in the fall and have been trying to hone my skills. I have been gathering information from this forum for the last several months that has helped me get started.

I'm using various bullet weights(147, 124, and 115) trying to decide which I like best. I have noticed that the 147 grain bullets tend to have more of a push and less of a muzzle flip while the lighter the bullet weight the more muzzle flip and less push. In learning to see the front sight lift out of the notch is it better to have more muzzle flip or is it easier to learn with less flip and more push?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

Welcome!

It all depends on what feels the most comfortable to you. If you don't mind the recoil then you're probably going to be better off with less flip and more push. The less the sights move the quicker you'll learn to really follow them and the easier it will be to maintain that under pressure. If recoil bothers you a lot, then you're probably going to want more flip and less push so it doesn't make you develp bad habits.

Welcome to the forum!

+1 with G-Man

The heavy bullet "thump" is easier to learn your sight travel with.

The sharp snapping muzzle flip with light bullets is harder to pick up.

Some might suggest training with the light bullets loads. I would not.

Find what you like and shoot a ton of it.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

I'm new, but one thing I learned is I don't care how much it flips as long as it returns to where is should. My wrist is trashed and I like the flip more than the harder push. As long as it comes back it can flip to hell and gone. ;)

+1 to Gman

Make sure you are starting out with proper grip, stance and sight picture it is horrible have to unlearn stuff. Recoil is a prefrence but there is some thing to be desired about less muzzle flip and a quicker recoil recovery (grip, stance, ergonomics think about how your body works as well as your bone structure). Good luck and welcome.

Phil

Ahhh, the old sage words of wisdom...pick one and practice.

The load matters, but at the same time it doesn't.

Pick one and practice.

(I favor a 125 grain bullet at 130 pf for production...the 147s are too sluggish and hinky on steel.)

SA