Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW comp question

aggunner

I just recieved an EGW bushing comp for my .45 and was wondering if it was suppose to be under bored and that I would have to have my gun smith bore it out.

When you say "bushing comp", do you mean a "cone style comp"? If EGW makes a bushing comp, one that replaces the barrel bushing on the front of the slide, it may need to be opened sufficiently to allow the barrel to pass since this type of comp moves with the slide.

If it is not a bushing comp, EGW sends out their comps (both cone style comps and bull barrel comps) with the bore undersized so that you or your gunsmith can then use an alignment reamer to make sure the barrel and the comp are properly aligned so that you will not shave bullets. The pilot of the reamer will be just small enough to fit into the barrel while the cutters will open the comp to about 0.008" larger that the bullet diameter.

Bill

(p.s. These reamers are hard to locate. Let us know if you find a source. Midway has had the 9mm backordered for over 6 months.)

(p.s.s. I checked an old (2004) EGW catalog and EGW's website and did not find any bushing comps.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

the comp is designed to work with a standard bushinged barrel. The comp looks like its drilled out for .355 projectiles but i'm using it for .45

Does the comp mount onto the slide like the original bushing, or does it screw onto a threaded barrel? If it attaches to the slide, Brownells has a barrel bushing reamer (part no 170-531-001 and 170-531-002) that will open up the bore so the barrel will be able to pass.

Bill

page 98 of catalog #59 or at www.brownells.com

it threads onto the barrel

Give the folks at EGW a call and explain that you need a comp for .45 ACP. You have one for 9mm / .38 super and need to exchange it. It can be reamed out with a lathe, but you would be better off starting with the correct comp.

And when you do get the correct comp, you will still need a reamer to open it up and align it with the barrel. If you do not have a 45 cal. compensator alignment reamer, then consider sending the slide and barrel off to EGW and have them fit it correctly. Cheaper than tearing up a good comp and it will work better if fitted properly.

The little work I've had them do for me was timely and fairly priced.

Bill

Poop, I've waited over a month for this comp and originally had a barrel on order with them but kept getting "it'll be another week" and figured I could just have my smith cut down a 6" kart and thread it for me.

Edited by aggunner

If your gunsmith can cut and thread a barrel he can certainly run a 15/32 drill through your comp.

You could use a 15/32" bit (0.46875"), but that is a little oversized against a 0.452" bullet and reduces a comp's efficiency.

If you are going to drill it, use a 29/64" (0.453125") and then mill it out to 0.460". That's the recommended 0.008" clearance.

This will need to be done in a lathe (not a drill press) to assure alignment with the barrel bore. If the baffles are angled, take care in the cutting so the cutter does not drift.

Another option would be to return the comp and buy the Clark 1911 drop in kit. Includes the barre, comp, link and link pin. Its $235 at Brownells. (Part # 181-165-000)

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

i thought about the clark kit, but wanted a hard fit barrel.

A hard fit barrel (gunsmith fit barrel) may also require you ream the chamber. Some of these barrels are sent with a short chamber that requires reaming once the hood is fit to the slide. Its been a few years, but I installed several Clark kits and a few Wilson kits. Though advertised as drop in, all required a little fitting. As for accuracy, without the added steps of slide tightening and such, the accuracy did not suffer and was superior to the factory installed barrels.

Bill

Bill, talk to the nice people at Brownells for your 9mm comp reamer. Mine took less than two weeks to get in hand made to order.

Agg, are you sure the Kart hard fit (gunsmith) barrel is finish chambered? It has been a while since I used one, but I don't remember any but the EZ fit from them being finish chambered. Don't get me wrong, the EZ fit shoots REALLY well when fitted decently but it isn't a true hard fit barrel. Kart barrels are truly top shelf, I like them a LOT.

A couple thou more clearance on the comp baffles won't make a notable difference, not in my opinion anyway. My experiments were with a 9mm major gun, but I absolutely cannot tell the difference between a .360" baffle and a .370" baffle. The comp reamer I use now is .368", you never know when someone will shoot plated bullets with a 10 thou crimp through the gun so I look to maximize the clearance without compromising performance.

Drift: who can talk Kart into making 6" 40 cal bushing barrels?

Bill, talk to the nice people at Brownells for your 9mm comp reamer. Mine took less than two weeks to get in hand made to order.

Agg, are you sure the Kart hard fit (gunsmith) barrel is finish chambered? It has been a while since I used one, but I don't remember any but the EZ fit from them being finish chambered. Don't get me wrong, the EZ fit shoots REALLY well when fitted decently but it isn't a true hard fit barrel. Kart barrels are truly top shelf, I like them a LOT.

A couple thou more clearance on the comp baffles won't make a notable difference, not in my opinion anyway. My experiments were with a 9mm major gun, but I absolutely cannot tell the difference between a .360" baffle and a .370" baffle. The comp reamer I use now is .368", you never know when someone will shoot plated bullets with a 10 thou crimp through the gun so I look to maximize the clearance without compromising performance.

Drift: who can talk Kart into making 6" 40 cal bushing barrels?

just double checked and they are finish chambered. And I think i'm going to go with the extra clearance since I do shoot plated bullets on occasion.

y'all have been very helpful and i appreciate all of the advice.